JOHOR BARU: A pupil was bitten by a snake while in a toilet at the Sekolah Kebangsaan Kota Masai near Pasir Gudang Wednesday.
However, Muhammad Aryyan Nazhan Mohd Nasrul, seven, is reported to be stable after he was given immediate medical treatment.
Education Deputy Minister P. Kamalanathan said the incident occurred about 3pm when the boy who was in the afternoon school session was in the toilet on the third floor of the school.
He said as soon as the boy realised he had been bitten on the left palm, he immediately informed his teacher who sent him to a 1Malaysia clinic before he was referred to the Sultan Ismail Hospital.
“His condition is stable as the snake was not poisonous and the school has contacted the Fire and Rescue Department to catch the snake.
“We congratulate the school for acting fast in this incident,” he told reporters after making an official visit to the Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Tamil (SJKT) Ladang Tebrau here Thursday.
Of late, there had been several cases of snake bites in several states.
Kamalanathan said the ministry had asked schools to reduce outdoor activities to prevent similar cases from occurring.
On his visit, he said the construction of the new building for SJKT Ladang Tebrau here was 70 per cent completed and it was expected to operate in September.
He said it was constructed at a cost of RM6.8 million and could accommodate 302 pupils, adding that it would have six classrooms and several specialised rooms such as a resource centre. – Bernama