Hottest Online News Portal

Watersports Operator Suspended Immediately Following Penang Jet Ski Mishap

in Latest

GEORGE TOWN- The watersports operator, offering jet ski services where a nine-year-old was killed following a mishap on Sunday, has been suspended pending an investigation.

Penang Island City Council (MBPP) mayor Yew Tung Seang said the investigation committee, which met this morning, decided that action should be taken against the said company.

“As such, we have decided to suspend the company’s operations with immediate effect pending investigation.

“Both jet skis involved in the accident had also been confiscated for further investigation,” he told newsmen here today.

In the 7.30pm incident in Batu Ferringhi on Sunday, Jordan Phang Wen Jie, from Selangor, died when the jet ski he was riding pillion on collided with that of his mother’s.

The impact of the crash caused the victim to fall into the sea before family members took him to a hotel’s poolside to perform CPR.

Paramedics, who arrived at the scene, confirmed he died at the scene.

Yew stressed that it has always been the council’s responsibility to ensure safety of all watersports activities in Batu Ferringhi.

“The rules and guidelines are there to be adhered to.

“While we are sad with the latest incident, we will wait for investigation to complete before we know what really happened.

“Some are saying the incident occurred because of the strong waves while others said it was due to negligence. We will wait and see,” he added.

In 2016, the Penang government imposed stricter rules on how the watersports operators carry on their businesses.

The new measures included stricter demerit system, which would suspend the watersport operators found flouting the rules; a new take-off and landing zone and a flag-based wind speed warning system.

Yew said there has been a significant drop in watersports activities since then.

Yesterday, deputy state police chief Datuk Roslee Chik said the case had been identified as sudden death.

“We will work together with the council to identify the cause of the incident, including possible negligence.

“I was told there was negligence which resulted in the child to fall down and sustain serious injuries. We will investigate,” he was quoted as saying.- New Straits Times

Tags:

Latest from Latest

Go to Top