PUTRAJAYA – The Veterinary Services Department today announced that there were no new locations detected positive for H5N1 or the bird flu and no new infections detected over a five-day period until March 22.
In a statement today, the department said during the monitoring operation yesterday, 65 samples were taken from 13 premises, and 1,556 chickens culled and 1,018 eggs destroyed.
“Up to yesterday, 28 locations were confirmed to be positive for the H5N1 virus in six districts, namely Kota Baru (14 locations), Pasir Mas (six), Tumpat (three), Tanah Merah (one), Bachok (one) and Pasir Puteh (three) involving 43 premises.
“The operations to dispose of the chickens and eggs were completed in 15 locations and being continued in other locations.
“So far, 37,555 chickens have been culled, 15,348 eggs destroyed and 3,457 samples taken from 584 poultry breeders and owners,” it said.
The department said its disposal teams were mobilised to catch and dispose of all chickens within a one-kilometre radius from each location detected with the disease.
“Culling of the chickens does not mean they all infected but need to be disposed of to form a buffer to prevent the disease from spreading,” it said.
The H5N1 outbreak is now being controlled within a 30km radius from Kampung Pulau Tebu involving six districts (Kota Bharu, Pasir Mas, Pasir Puteh, Tumpat, Tanah Merah and Bachok).
The department said the situation was restricted to the infected areas involving kampung chickens reared by small-time breeders.
It said roadblocks were also put up to curb movement of chickens from Kelantan involving four strategic locations.
“Other states remain free of the virus and are at a high level of preparedness and actively monitoring and controlling the movement of chickens at their respective entry points,” it said. – BERNAMA