KUALA LUMPUR: 4,770 individuals who have cashed in their 1Malaysia Peopleâ€™s Aid (BR1M) more than once since 2012 and have not paid back will be blacklisted from receiving the aid in the future, the Dewan Rakyat was told today.
Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Ahmad Maslan said that amongst the total 6,576 individuals who had cashed in twice, 1,806 of them had repaid the amount taken to the ministry.
“The remaining individuals who have yet to pay back are confirmed to be blacklisted from receiving BR1M in the future.
Ahmad also said the individuals who cashed in twice could do so as they lined up twice to receive the money or they wrongly-admitted to have lost their amount received earlier.
In response to a question by Datuk Irmohizam Ibrahim (BN-KUALA SELANGOR) on whether the ministry had any plans to review the method of BR1M distribution in the form of vouchers to be used for specific goods to ensure the amount was spent properly, Ahmad said there were none.
“The Government has promised the people that BR1M will be increased to RM1,500 in the span of five years, and this amount is in cash value. If it were in vouchers, it would not translate into exactly the amount indicated.
“Also, vouchers can be sold at a lower price than what it is worth, so it may lead to misuse,” he said.
It was reported on Monday that there were people who cashed their BR1M vouchers more than once since 2012 until early last year as revealed in the first series of the Auditor-General’s Report 2014.