SHAH ALAM – The planned debate between Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Culture and Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz at Karangkraf Complex on April 7 has been cancelled in the interest of security and public order.
Selangor deputy police chief, Datuk Mohd Fuad Abdul Latiff said 18 police reports had so far been received from the public who objected to the proposed debate.
“They are worried about personal and family safety (if the debate is to take place.
“Therefore, police have cancelled the permit to hold the debate, taking into account public interest and safety,” he told a press conference at the state police contingent headquarters, here, today.
Mohd Fuad said police intelligence also found that certain quarters would be creating trouble at the debate on that day.
Yesterday, Karangkraf Media Group managing director, Datuk Hussamuddin Yaacob said they received a letter on the cancellation of the permit to hold the debate from Shah Alam district police chief, ACP Shafien Mamat.
The cancellation was made one day after Hussamuddin announced that Karangkraf had obtained permission to hold the debate. – BERNAMA