KUALA LUMPUR – The investigations on the SRC International and the RM2.6 billion fund that led to the Attorney-General’s findings were painstaking and comprehensive, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
He said every detail and piece of evidence had been examined in detail.
“No one should question the competence or independence of Malaysia’s institutions,” he said in a statement Tuesday.
At a media conference in Putrajaya earlier today, Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali said no criminal offence was committed by Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak in relation to the investigation on the case of the SRC International and the RM2.6-billion fund alleged to have been deposited in the bank account of the Prime Minister.
He said the investigation revealed that the amount deposited was actually RM2.08 billion, and it was a personal contribution from the Saudi Arabian royal family in 2013, and of the amount, RM2.03 billion had been returned to the cntributor in the same year.
As had been made clear, said Ahmad Zahid, there were no conditions attached to the donations which were made to the Prime Minister personally out of belief in him and his leadership on key issues.
“I know this myself, having met the donor. It was the Prime Minister who chose to use the donations for the benefit of our party and needy communities throughout Malaysia,” he said.
“We have spent enough time (being) distracted by this matter. I call on everyone to move on.
“Now we must unite and move forward under the Prime Minister’s leadership for the betterment of Malaysia.
“He is the right person to lead us through the current global economic storm and the security threats we are facing,” he said.
Ahmad Zahid added that as politicians, they were prepared to be attacked by opponents who wanted to damage their reputations with false allegations.
“However, it is wrong to tarnish the reputation of the government and the country for personal political gain. National interest must supersede personal interest,” he said.