GEORGE TOWN – The road closure since Nov 7 at the main road linking Teluk Bahang to the town centre has been fully lifted for traffic.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng who visited the site today, commended the Public Works Department (JKR) for the speedy rehabilitation and restructuring of the road.
“I wish to congratulate and say ‘well done’ to state JKR director Salleh Awang. Even though the job involved a hillslope, we could complete it within one week, not quite on par with Japan but almost there.
“We thought the job would take months but finally we completed it in one week. This proves that if the engineer entrusted to carry out the responsibility gives his full commitment, everything is possible,” he told reporters.
The road had been off limits to road users except motorcyclists at certain times, under scrutiny by the authorities. Rehabilitation works at the landslide-affected area commenced on Nov 9.
On Nov 7, continuous rain resulted in a landslide which brought down a section of the road.
The incident cut off access for residents in Teluk Bahang to the town centre and also stranded hundreds of people including Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia candidates and workers.
Lim also expressed the state’s appreciation to Works Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusof for providing an immediate allocation of RM700,000 to restore the road.
He gave the assurance that the road and hillslope along Balik Pulau-Teluk Bahang and Batu Ferringhi would be constantly monitored.
Meanwhile, the chief minister disclosed that the state government was planning to build a dual carriageway to link Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang, as an alternative in the event of a landslide.
“The design for the dual carriageway has been there for 30 years ago. It would not mean anything if it is not implemented,” he said. – BERNAMA