Home Tags Posts tagged with "police"
SEREMBAN – Police arrested five men following the incidents of defacing the Hubbul Watan surau in Taman Seremban Jaya Phase 10 and the Rembau Umno division office in Jalan Seremban-Tampin, here, yesterday.
Seremban district police chief, ACP Muhamad Zaki Harun said all the five, aged between and 32 years, believed to be from the same group, were detained to assist in the investigation.
He said the offence involved vandalising public property and place of worship.
“Forensic experts have taken samples of the paint used by the individuals involved for further action to be taken. It’s still too early to make any assumption,” he said, here, today.
In the incidents about 4am yesterday, the surau and Umno division office which are located near to each other, were defaced with a swastika symbol and some words.
Police reports were lodged on the incidents by Rembau Umno division executive secretary, Zuliana Mohd Ridzuan, and former chairman of Surau Hubbul Watan, Abd Ghani Ismail. – BERNAMA
ALOR SETAR – A man believed to be mentally unsound claimed trial in the Sessions Court here today to voluntarily causing hurt to a policeman last week.
Zawawi Jasni, 28, allegedly slashed Mohd Abdul Halil Osman with a knife at a house at Kampung Kerkau, Pendang around 4.30 pm on Nov 27.
Judge Ibrahim Osman ordered the accused to be sent to Hospital Bahagia Ulu Kinta, Tanjung Rambutan in Perak for psychiatric assessment, and set Jan 7 for re mention.
Deputy public prosecutor Azlena Hashim appeared for the prosecution while the accused was unrepresented. – BERNAMA
REMBAU – Members of the public have been reminded not to climb Gunung Datuk because the current rainy spell makes the hilly terrain unsafe.
Rembau district police chief DSP Ibrahim Sharif said climbing activities were unsuitable during the Monsoon season and could pose a host of danger.
“I advise members of the public to wait until good weather to start climbing activities. They must follow all the safety rules.
“If the climb starts at 8 am, come on time. Don’t wander alone or leave the group,” he told Bernama here, Sunday.
They should to bring along communication equipment so that the authorities can detect their position if they lose direction.
Ibrahim reminded them to carry flashlights for night activities.
Meanwhile, Negeri Sembilan Fire & Rescue Department director Norazam Khamis said the Forestry Department had been instructed to limit climbing activities at Gunung Datuk.
“I discourage climbing activities during rainy season for fear of thunder and lightning that can cause loss of life.”
On Nov 7, a female student of Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) Alor Gajah campus was reported missing on Gunung Datuk.
Thirteen students from Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) Seremban campus were reported missing on Gunung Datuk on Nov 21.
In both cases, all the victims were found safe by rescuers. – BERNAMA
KUANTAN – The police have detained 18 people, including 13 Bangladeshi men and a woman, in connection with a syndicate which stole Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) cables worth about RM200,000.
The suspects were picked up in three separate raids in Jalan Jabor Lama, near Cherating.
Kuantan police chief ACP Abdul Aziz Salleh said in the first raid last Sunday, a police team nabbed a 25-year-old man who was cutting cables in the area about 2pm.
From the suspect, he said, the police seized a sack containing cables weighing 10kg, as well as tools such as a saw and machete.
“Upon questioning, the suspect told the police that he had stolen cables from the premises more than 10 times,” he told reporters here today.
In the second raid on Wednesday, at a premises selling scrap metal, the police picked up a 53-year-old man and his 39-year-old Bangladeshi employee about 12.30pm.
Abdul Aziz said an inspection on the premises found a large sack filled with cables estimated to weigh 300kg, among others.
In a follow-up operation, he said the police rounded up 16 people, including a store supervisor and his two children, lorry driver and 12 Bangladeshis at a store located near the premises at 9.30pm the sae day.
“At the time, they were moving cables estimated to weigh more than 4,000kg, as well as 24 lorry batteries into a lorry for sale in Kuala Lumpur,” he added. – BERNAMA
GEORGETOWN – Police will be investigating an incident where a group of 14 students of a residential school in Jalan Masjid Negeri here was bruised and scarred on the back after being caned on Friday.
Northeast district police chief ACP Mior Faridalathrash Wahid said police were also investigating the cause of the incident which occurred between 7 am and 7.30 am.
“So far, police have yet to receive any police report from any party involved in the incident but the investigation will go on,” he said when contacted by Bernama here today.
A local daily reported that most of those involved were form five students sitting for their Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM), who were caned and scolded for not performing their morning prayers at the school surau.
The group of students who allegedly did not perform their morning prayers after studying late at night, were caned four times by the warden while a school prefect who also did not perform his morning prayers was caned eight times and was left bruised on the back.
Meanwhile, Penang Education director Datuk Osman Hussain said he had been informed of the incident but was still waiting for a report.
He said the school and Northeast district education office were conducting investigations on the incident.
“Let the school and the district office carry out their investigations first as any action or decision on the incident will depend on their reports,” he said. – BERNAMA
KOTA KINABALU – The two criminals shot dead in Penampang Baru yesterday are believed to have been involved in three armed robberies this month, Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said today.
He said the robberies took place at an electrical outlet in Penampang on Oct 6, a supermarket in Kota Kinabalu on Oct 9 and a goldsmith shop in Tuaran on Oct 16.
Jalaluddin said the two men shot dead were aged 50 and 45 and were Filipinos whom the police had been hunting for about three months.
“Based on police intelligence, we often set up roadblocks to haul up suspects of robberies and armed robberies,” he told a press conference.
Asked whether the criminals had had any connection with Sulu militants and had been recruiting new members, he said the matter would be investigated.
Jalaluddin said that at about 4 pm yesterday, a special task force tailed the two men, who were in a four-wheel-drive vehicle, from Kota Kinabalu towards Penampang Baru.
The police recognised the men from photographs of wanted men.
“The vehicle stopped in front of a restaurant and one policeman went to the driver’s door and another policeman, to the front passenger’s door.
“After the policeman at the driver’s door knocked on the window and identified himself as a policeman, the policeman on the passenger’s side spotted the passenger holding a pistol and shouted ‘pistol’. A shootout followed,” he said.
The shootout ended with the two men being shot dead.
Jalaluddin said the police seized two handphones, a wallet, a Browning pistol, a bullet and two shells.
He advised the people not to speculate on the incident, and not to easily trust the news on it in the social media.
He said the situation was under control. – BERNAMA
MELAKA – Melaka Police plans to raid 40 suspected online gambling premises over the weekend to rid the state of such activity.
Melaka Police chief Datuk Chuah Ghee Lye said the integrated operation dubbed ‘Op Dadu’ will involve Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB).
“I believe the raids will paralyse online gambling. Several premises have already ceased operation,” he told reporters in Bandar Hilir here, today.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar had given state police chiefs until Sunday to close online gambling premises and failure will result in their transfer within 24 hours.
Chuah said 307 raids were carried out on online gambling premises in Melaka Tengah district between Jan 1 to Oct 29 this year.
Of the number, 281 raids were successful leading to the arrest of 421 people and the seizure of 4,967 computers worth more than RM2 million. – BERNAMA
KUALA LUMPUR – The police shot dead two men, suspected to be members of the Sulu Rebel Army and the ‘driving force’ behind the recruitment of new members, in the vicinity of a shophouse in Penampang Baru, Sabah yesterday.
Initial police investigations revealed that the duo, in their 30s and 50s, had arrived from Kota Kinabalu and attempted an armed robbery in the area.
In the 5pm incident, a police team intercepted a vehicle in which the two men were travelling. At that juncture, the duo tried to resist and the police were forced to open fire, killing them on the spot.
According to a police source, police surveillance on the two men, about a few weeks ago had revealed they tried to recruit new members, spread the so-called Sulu Sultanate ideology in Sabah, as well as preach elements of violence.
“The suspects, who came from Kota Kinabalu were also attempting to commit an armed robbery in the area.
“The police are now tracking down the remnants of this group and they are also believed to be getting active off the east coast of Sabah,” he said when contacted by Bernama.
In February last year, the country was stunned when armed Sulu rebels from southern Philippines, intruded into Lahad Datu and Semporna in Sabah’s east coast, which saw 10 members of the national security forces killed.
However, through a joint army and police operation, dubbed ‘Operasi Daulat’, the rebels were routed. More than 100 rebels were killed and hundreds of their followers captured in the state.
Following the incident, the Malaysian Government set up a security shield to thwart violations, kidnapping and smuggling in Sabah, named ESSZone (Eastern Sabah Security Zone) and ESSCom (Eastern Sabah Security Command).
Meanwhile in PENAMPANG, Sabah, residents panicked when they heard gunshots in the business district of Penampang Baru.
A man in his 30s, who declined to be identified said he was busy at work in a food store when he heard a loud thud.
“I rushed out of the shop and saw a group of armed men wearing ski-masks and firing shots in the direction of some occupants in a four-wheel drive vehicle,” he said.
The food store employee who was hiding in the vicinity said he also spotted a group of policemen arriving at the scene, about 15 minutes later and inspecting the bodies of two men who were earlier, gunned down in the vehicle.
He said he also saw the police take the bodies away in two black plastic bags.
A Bernama survey found that the police had cordoned off two business blocks to prevent the public from entering the area. The situation in Penampang Baru has returned to normal.
KUALA LUMPUR – The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) says an independent commission is needed to eradicate graft and misconduct in the police force.
MACC’s consultative and corruption prevention panel (CCPP) chairman Tan Sri Johan Jaafar said today the police should consider this proposal seriously to regain the faith and confidence of the public in the force.
It will be similar to the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC) which was suggested by a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) years ago.
Renaming it the Independent Police Integrity Commission (IPIC), he said it would be an effective deterrent to all forms of serious misconduct and power abuse by police personnel, including bribery.
Johan led a CCPP delegation to Bukit Aman today where he met Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar and other top police officers to discuss ways to counter graft in the police force.
Also present at the meeting was MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed.
Johan said although the CCPP is aware of the issues that arose when the IPCMC was suggested by the RCI, it is of the opinion that IPIC can be the ultimate solution to reform the police force, assuring “check and balance” and transparency.
The recommendation for the IPCMC was initially made eight years ago by the Royal Commission to Enhance the Operation and Management of the Royal Malaysian Police – a recommendation that was never realised due to strong objections by police top brass who lamented that there would be partial and other unfair policies against its personnel if such commission were to be in place.
Over the years, the police sidelined the recommendation despite repeated calls by various quarters, including the Bar Council, for such a commission to be formed.
In a press conference, Johan said although the newly formed police Integrity and Standard Compliance Department (JIPS) was tasked to handle power abuse and misconduct, it should be a full-fledged Internal Affairs Division with “more teeth to bite wrong-doers”.
He said this is in line with Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi’s call for the police to emulate the New York Police Department, which had countered corruption within its force after forming a highly effective internal affairs division.
Johan said CCPP and the police force had also agreed to work together on several programmes, including one called the “adopted department programme” where the former will provide consultation and guidance to any “problematic” police unit or division over a certain duration.
Khalid said the meeting was fruitful and the joint cooperation between the police and MACC is a positive move in fighting corruption.
On changing the negative perception of the public on the police force, Khalid said the issue is the mindset of the people and it can only be changed by engaging the public through programmes and other means of interaction.
“This is not only happening here but in other countries. For instance, the crime index has fallen way down at negative (-) 12.4% but when crimes occur, people continue to think it is high,” he said.
Abu Kassim said corruption within enforcement bodies is a universal problem but what is crucial are the efforts being taken to control, if not eradicate it. – The Sun
KUALA LUMPUR – The police have always allowed the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to investigate policemen who are suspected of accepting bribes.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said police had never sheltered its errant officers or policemen but would hand them to MACC for prompt action.
“Indeed, police have been leaving it to the MACC to investigate while the police are more towards investigations related to indiscipline and standard procedures,” he told reporters after receiving a MACC delegation at the Dewan Theatrette, Menara 1, Bukit Aman here, yesterday.
Since 2012, 273 police personnel were nabbed on suspicion of accepting bribes and of the total, 43 were charged in court and 168 are still being investigated, he said.
According to Khalid, the number of policemen accepting bribes during the three-year period had dropped by 12.4 per cent.
“Offences involving corruption does not only involve policemen but also involves any agency with enforcement officers and personnel,” he said.
However, at the same time, there were 17 cases this year involving 50 personnel and officers who rejected bribes.
“Of the total, 36 policemen were awarded for turning down bribes from April to September this year,” he said. – Bernama
12Next Page 1 of 2