Home Tags Posts tagged with "Murder"

Murder

ALOR SETAR – A woman and three men were charged in the Magistrate’s Court here today in connection with the death of a man last month.

Farah Waheda Abu Bakar, 21, Mohd Shahrul Ikhwan Shahbani, 20, Hor Yong Wei,19, and Chee Woie Yong,29, nodded after the charge was read out to them before Magistrate Noor Farah Hazwani Osman.

However, no plea was recorded.

The four of them, and five others still at large, were charged with murdering Mohammad Fisol Abu Bakar,31, at Plaza Sentosa, Jalan Putra near here, at 4 pm last May 28.

The charge, under Section 302 of the Penal Code, carries the death sentence, upon conviction.

They were not allowed bail and the court set Sept 25 for mention pending the chemist and post mortem reports.

Deputy public prosecutor Muhammad Rifaie Mohamed Riyaludin prosecuted, while lawyers Pyara Singh and Lim Wei Yong represented Hor and Chee, respectively.

Farah Waheda nd Mohd Shahrul were unrepresented. – BERNAMA

GEORGE TOWN – A teenager accused of murdering T. Nhaveen broke down in tears when he saw his family members sitting in the court’s public gallery.

This prompted his brother to console him from afar through hand gestures, asking him to calm down.

S. Gokulan, 18, who is unemployed, was in the dock of the Sessions Court here yesterday with three other teenagers. They face a joint charge of causing grievous hurt to Nhaveen’s friend, T. Previin, 19, by using a helmet.

All four pleaded not guilty to committing the offence between 11pm and midnight on June 9 near a learning centre in Jalan Kaki Bukit, Bukit Gelugor.

They were charged under Section 326 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum jail sentence of 20 years and fine or whipping upon conviction.

The other accused are college student J. Ragesuthen, 18, and two secondary school students aged 16 and 17.

Judge Irwan Suainbon fixed Aug 21 for mention pending the medical and chemist reports.

The four were later taken to a magistrate’s court where they were jointly charged with murdering Nhaveen, 18, at the same time and place.

The offence carries the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

No bail was offered and no plea recorded. Magistrate Mohamad Amin Shahul Hamid fixed Sept 28 for mention.

All four were unrepresented in both courts. DPP Lim Saw Sim prosecuted in the Sessions Court and DPP Nurul Fatin Hussin at the magistrate’s court.

Both courtrooms were packed with mostly family members of the accused.

Outside the magistrate’s court, a relative claimed that his family had approached several lawyers but none wanted to take up their case because the word “sodomise” had been used in reports about the case.

He also claimed to have received a threatening message from an unknown number and had lodged a police report.

However, George Town OCPD Asst Comm Anuar Omar said police received no such report.

ACP Anuar said an 18-year-old suspect, who was arrested together with the four accused, was released on a bond and would serve as pro­secution witness.

Penang CID chief Senior Asst Comm Zainol Samah urged the public not to speculate about the case.

“We have completed our investigations and the prosecution is in progress. Don’t listen to rumours,” he said.

Nhaveen was found unconscious around midnight on June 10 at a field next to Jalan Kaki Bukit in Bukit Gelugor.

He died at the Penang Hospital at 5.31pm on June 15.

It was reported that he suffered internal bleeding in his head and abdomen, was burnt on his back and had signs that a blunt object had been shoved into his anus.

Nhaveen and Previin had gone to a burger stall in Gelugor for a snack and were set upon by a gang of youths, whom Previin identified as their ex-schoolmates.

Nhaveen, who would have turned 18 in December, finished Form Five last year and was going to enrol at a private college this month to pursue his dream of becoming a music composer. – The Star Online

AMPANG – An elderly woman was found dead in her home at Taman Dato Ahmad Razali here.

She was believed to have been robbed and murdered.

Saleha Sheikh Mohamed, 65, was found dead in her second floor home at the Taman Dato Razali flats here at about 6pm on Monday.

According to her daughter-in-law who only wanted to be known as Norizan, a tenant who was living in another room in the house found the victim.

Norizan said that the tenant, a student in his 20s, found the victim lying in front of the bathroom when he returned home.

She added that her mother-in-law lived alone with the tenant and her father-in-law lived in Port Dickson.

It is learnt that the victim was found with her gold necklace and earrings missing,

It is believed that the victim was found with injuries on her ears, indicating that her earrings were snatched off the ears.

It is learnt that a cupboard in her room was also broken into.

Ampang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Hamzah Alias said that police were alerted of the incident at 7.18pm by ambulance personnel from Ampang Hospital.

He said that the house was locked there were no signs of forced entry into the home.

ACP Hamzah said that there were no serious external injuries on the victim.

He added that the case was being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder while the body of the victim was sent to Ampang Hospital for post-mortem. – The Star Online

GEORGE TOWN – A 56-year-old man has been remanded for five days to assist in the investigation of an attempted murder of a Hindu temple priest.

He was the seventh suspect nabbed for alleged involvement in a shooting outside the temple priest’s house in Air Itam on April 21.

George Town OCPD Senior Asst Comm Mior Faridalathrash Wahid said the man was picked up around 7pm on Wednesday from a house in Air Itam.

The man was brought to a magistrate’s court at noon yesterday and Assistant Registrar Muna Maria Azmi granted the five-day remand.

His lawyer Dr N. Ahilan said the police requested for a seven-day remand but he objected. “We then settled for five days,” he said.

The man is being investigated under Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder, which carries a jail term of up to 20 years upon conviction.

It was reported that the 50-year-old Hindu priest survived a close-range shooting outside his house in Jalan Satu when he was watering the plants.

He claimed a man on a motorcycle rode by and started shooting. He ducked and ran inside the house for cover.

Police picked up six suspects, aged between 14 and 55, for questioning soon after the shooting. – The Star Online

SIBU – The police have detained 12 men linked to the murder of a businessman early Thursday in Jalan Wong King Huo here.

Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Mazlan Mansor said the suspects included two people who were previously remanded for five days in connection with the killing of businessman Clement Tan Teck Howe, 29.

He said the suspects were in their 20s and the police were trying to track down several individuals who were still at large.

In the incident, Tan who was having a drink with his friends about 1am at a coffeeshop in Jalan Wong King Huo was confronted by two men before a quarrel ensued.

This eventually led to a brawl which saw the victim beaten up until he lost consciousness and was sent to the hospital before he died at 5.22am.

— BERNAMA

JEMPOL – An elderly woman, believed to have been a victim of robbery, was found slashed to death at her house in Kampung Baru Rompin here yesterday.

Joriah Ahmad, 65, who sustained a slash wound in the neck was sprawled in a pool of blood at the living room when two siblings who were the victim’s neighbours entered the main door which was ajar to return an umbrella they had borrowed.

Jempol police chief, Supt Noorzainy Mohd Noor said following the gruesome discovery about 5pm, the police detained a 37-year-old man, believed to be Joriah’s relative to facilitate investigations into the murder.

He said the man was picked up about three hours after the killing of the woman who had lived alone at the house.

“The siblings alerted the neighbours over the killing and the police were alerted,” he said when contacted by Bernama today.

Noorzainy said initial investigations revealed the woman sustained a 16cm long slash wound on the neck, adding that a television set and jewellery belonging to the victim were missing.

— BERNAMA

Further Remand For Hawker In Single Mother Murder Case

IPOH – A 34-year-old hawker at the general market here has been remanded for another seven days in connection with the murder last Monday of a single mother.

Police today obtained the extension order effective tomorrow through Magistrate’s Court assistant registrar N.Mageswari.

The suspect was detained around 12noon on March 13 after the body of the woman aged 53, who had apparently been stabbed was found in a bedroom on the upper floor of a house at Taman Dato Lew Yap Sip, Ampang here.

Investigations revealed forced entry through the front door and bedroom door, while the curtain and chair in the room were also partly burnt.

The case is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code. – BERNAMA

A court in the Indonesian holiday island of Bali jailed a British man for six years on Monday (13/3) for his role in the murder of a traffic policeman.

David Taylor, 33, and his Australian girlfriend Sara Connor, 45, were arrested in August last year after the body of police official Wayan Sudarsa was found on the popular Kuta beach, with wounds to his head and neck.

Taylor and Connor were involved in an altercation with Sudarsa whom they suspected of stealing Connor’s purse.

“The defendant has been proven to have violated the law and is sentenced to six years in prison,” presiding judge Yanto, who goes by one name, told the courtroom.

Taylor, dressed in a white shirt and black pants, nodded as a legal aide translated. He had denied killing the policeman.

Prosecutors had called for an eight-year sentence.

Connor is expected to be sentenced later in the day. – JG

GEORGE TOWN – A housewife was charged in the Magistrate’s Court here today with the murder of her maid.

Chan Lay Lee,42, nodded to indicate she understood the charge when it was read out to her in Mandarin. No plea was recorded from her.

She allegedly killed Jubedah, 38, an Indonesian at a house in Lebuhraya Jelutong here, between 11am and 4.45pm on Feb 25 this year.

If convicted, she faces the mandatory death sentence under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

Magistrate Mohamad Amin Shahul Hamid set May 11 for remention. Deputy public prosecutor Nurul Fatin Hussin appeared for the prosecution.

Chan was also charged in the Sessions Court with causing grievous hurt to Anad, 22, a Cambodian woman, with an iron rod at the same place at 11am between July 2016 and Feb 28, this year.

She claimed trial to the charge under Section 326 of the Penal Code, which carries 20 years imprisonment and a fine or whipping, on conviction.

Deputy public prosecutor Nurul Huda Idris did not propose bail.

Judge Irwan Suainbon did not grant bail on security factors and set May 11 for mention pending the victim’s medical report.

The accused was represented by counsel A.Rubern. – BERNAMA

PETALING JAYA: The North Korean suspect arrested in connection with the murder of Kim Jong-nam will be deported on Friday.

Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali (pic) confirmed that Ri Jong-chol, who was detained on Feb 18, would be released from police custody after his second remand expires, and deported.

“He will not be charged here as there is insufficient evidence against him,” Apandi told The Star Online when contacted Thursday.

He also said that Ri, who was detained at his condominium in Jalan Kuchai Lama, would need to deported as he does not possess valid documents.

Ri, described as an expert in chemistry, was supposedly working at the IT department of Tombo Enterprise Sdn Bhd, a company producing anti-cancer supplements in Cheras.

He graduated in the science and medicine field from a university in North Korea in 2000. Some 10 years later he worked for a research centre in Kolkata, India, until 2011.

Ri allegedly drove one of four North Korean men who are believed to be the masterminds behind Jong-nam’s murder.

The four – Ri Ji-hyon, 33, Hong Song-hac, 34, O Jong-gil, 55 and Ri Jae-nam – are still being hunted by police for reportedly orchestrating the attack on Jong-nam, the half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

However, the four men are believed to have fled Malaysia and returned to Pyongyang soon after the murder at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) departure hall on Feb 13.

The two women who allegedly administered the deadly VX nerve agent that killed Jong-nam, Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong and Indonesian Siti Aisyah, were charged with murder at the Sepang magistrate’s court on Wednesday.