Home Tags Posts tagged with "mukhriz"

mukhriz

 

KUALA LUMPUR – Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) deputy president Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir (pix) has confirmed that Opcom Holdings Bhd, a company founded by him was raided by the Inland Revenue Board (IRB).

“We will cooperate fully with the IRB. I think those guys are doing a professional job. They are taking instructions from people with political interest.

“I expect we have to submit some documents to fulfill some of the requests such as tax declaration forms and such,” Mukhriz told the media when met at the Parliament building yesterday.

He added the authorities were looking for backdated logs and transactions dated from 2011 to 2013.

Mukhriz added that he and his brothers were overseas when the raids at their companies were conducted.

On Tuesday, an online portal reported that the IRB had raided companies owned by all three of former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s sons.

The two other companies were Crescent Capital Sdn Bhd, a venture capital firm founded and headed by Tan Sri Mirzan Mahathir and Kencana Capital Sdn Bhd, another venture capital firm owned by Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir.

Meanwhile, Mahathir, who is also Pakatan Harapan chairman, said he welcomes the move by the authorities to investigate the companies.

Mahathir also urged the authorities, especially the IRB and the Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) to extend the investigation to include other government officials as well. – The Sun

KUALA LUMPUR – The High Court here today allowed the prime minister’s press secretary Datuk Seri Tengku Sharifuddin Tengku Ahmad to strike out two of his four press statements contained in former Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir lawsuit against him.

Judicial Commissioner Datuk Roslan Abu Bakar decided that the alleged defamatory words in the two press statements dated April 15 and 20 did not refer to Mukhriz.

“Therefore the actions are not sustainable,” he held.

However, the judge maintained the third and fourth press statements issued on April 23 and 26 as only a full trial could determine whether the statements were defamatory or not.

Mukhriz, 51, filed the suit on May 3, last year, alleging that Tengku Sharifuddin had issued four defamatory statements against him on April 15, 20, 23 and 26.

The statements were issued under the headings, ‘Prime Minister’s Press Secretary Statement on Donation Confirmation by Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister’; ‘Prime Minister’s Press Secretary Statement on Former DPM’s Reuters Interview’; ‘Mukhriz Mahathir Statement: Response by Prime Minister’s Press Secretary’; and ‘Prime Minister’s Press Secretary Statement on Tun Mahathir Mohamad and Mukhriz Mahathir’.

The court fixed March 14 for next case menagement.

Tengku Sharifuddin was represented by counsel Datuk Seri Jahaberdeen Mohamed Yunoos while Mukhriz, by his lawyer, Mohamed Haniff Khatri Abdulla.

Jahaberdeen told reporters that he would discuss with his client on whether or not to appeal against today’s decision.

Tengku Sharifuddin filed the application to strike out Mukhriz’s suit and to remove all his press statements contained in the suit, on Oct 11 last year.

Mukhriz in his writ of summons alleged that the statements implied that Dr Mahathir and Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had conspired in a malicious campaign to topple a democratically-elected government and that he was involved directly in the plot between Dr Mahathir and Muhyiddin.

Tengku Sharifuddin in his statement of defence, denied that the four statements had disparaged Mukhriz and stressed that the statements were to explain and counter false accusations against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

The defendant said he bore no malice in issuing the media statements which were published for information and in the interest of the Malaysian people.

He said he had a duty and responsibility to defend the prime minister and counter false accusations for the people to have an accurate picture and facts, which had been deliberately twisted by irresponsible parties for political interest. – BERNAMA

ALOR SETAR – Datuk Seri Mukhriz Tun Mahathir has been challenged to contest in the Jerlun parliamentary constituency in the next general election if he feels he has the people’s support.

Mukhriz’s former political special officer Haris Che Mat claimed today that there was talk that the former Kedah menteri besar was afraid to contest the seat and might opt to stand in Petaling Jaya Utara or Puchong.

“If this is true, I ask Datuk Seri Mukhriz to contest in Jerlun and Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad to stand in the Kubang Pasu parliamentary constituency in the 14th General Election.

“If Tun Mahathir is afraid to state that he will contest in the 14th general election, it is better that he retire from politics,” the Pokok Sena UMNO Division vice-chief told a press conference. – BERNAMA

 

PETALING JAYA – Politics appeared to have taken the backseat for Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir as he visited the man who had ousted him, Datuk Seri Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah at his home.

In an Instagram post on Saturday night, the former Kedah mentri besar posted a “selfie” of him, his successor Ahmad Bashah and his wife Datin Seri Hizam Awang Ahmad.

“Visited the MB who is recovering well and will resume his duties tomorrow. Wishing him full recovery, God willing,” wrote Mukhriz in the caption.

Ahmad Bashah also appeared delighted by the visit, as he too, posted the same photo on his Facebook page last night.

“Thank you Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir for spending the time with me just now,” he wrote, ending the caption with a hashtag #muafakatkedah (united Kedah).

Ahmad Bashah was admitted to the hospital after he fainted at Grand Alora Hotel, Alor Setar, while he was attending a meeting and was sent to the Kedah Medical Centre on June 4.

He was then transferred to the Penang General Hospital the next day and later underwent a surgery for intestinal complication.

Ahmad Bashah, along with other Kedah division leaders, had in January, announced a loss of confidence in Mukhriz’s leadership.

He took over Mukhriz’s position in February after the latter resigned from his post, ending the leadership crisis in the state. – The Star

SEREMBAN – Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir squandered the opportunities to make amends and this led to their sacking on Friday, said a senior UMNO leader.

UMNO Supreme Council member Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said the party must take drastic action because it did not want the issue to divide the members.
“We should have acted long ago. Party president Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak extended his hand of friendship in the last UMNO general assembly but it was not accepted.

“So, do not blame the leadership, especially the UMNO Supreme Council for unanimously sacking them,” he told reporters after presenting financial aid to orphans, the elderly and residents of Kampung Siliau Baru, Rantau, today.

Mohamad said that having held senior positions in UMNO, Muhyiddin and Mukhriz should have a better understanding of the party’s rules.

“Organisations have rules that must be complied with and those who do not respect to the constitution and commit breach of discipline have to be sacked.

“It is unbecoming of them to sit at the same table with the Opposition to discredit the party’s leadership and try to topple the government,” he added.

Jempol MP and Felda chairman Tan Sri Mohd Isa Samad said the leaders sacking was correct since they openly criticised the leadership and goverrnment.

“Their sacking is a reminder to others that we can have difference opinion but we cannot make it public as it will tarnish the image of the leadership,” he said after a breaking of fast also attended by the Yang di-Pertuan Besar Negeri Sembilan, Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir at Masjid Jamek Batu Kikir, Jempol yesterday.

In KOTA KINABALU, Kota Kinabalu UMNO Youth division fully supported the decision to sack Muhyiddin and Mukhriz and suspend Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal.

Its chief, Mohd Bahrin Abd Karim said the UMNO Supreme Council decision was only reasonable in order to maintain the integrity of the party.

“No decisive action against members who sabotage the party will weaken UMNO, the backbone of Barisan Nasional (BN) and the state govenrment,” he told reporters after breaking fast with students of Pusat Pengajian Tahfiz Al-Quran As-Syatibiyah at Masjid Bandaran Kota Kinabalu here, yesterday. – BERNAMA

KUALA LUMPUR – Umno deputy president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin expressed his dismay over the resignation of former Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir as Kedah mentri besar today, stating that Mukhriz was pressured by certain parties to step down.

“As expected, Mukhriz received constant pressure from some parties who wanted him to step down despite receiving support from the majority of the people of Kedah,” he said in a statement to the media.

“Because of extreme political pressure, he was forced to step down. I know the people of Kedah and the whole of Malaysia are disappointed,” he added.

He said the days when the nation’s leadership made decisions based on the views of the people were now over.

“It seems that in this latest political episode, the wishes of the few outweigh the feelings of the majority,” he said.

The former deputy prime minister said that if the sentiments of the people are not taken into consideration, he fears that Umno would be destroyed.

He said the powers that be in the party may have forgotten that they need the support of the people to remain relevant.

“It’s not easy to win the people’s trust back after they have been betrayed,” he added. – MyNewsHub/The Sun

ALOR SETAR – Datuk Seri Mukhriz Tun Dr Mahathir today announced his resignation as Kedah Menteri Besar with immediate effect.

He told a media conference at Wisma Darul Aman here that he had lost the majority support of the Kedah State Assembly.

“I was informed that I have lost the majority support by the Kedah Council of Regency yesterday,” he said.

Datuk Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah will be sworn in as the new Kedah Mentri Besar on Thursday at 10am at Istana Anak Bukit.

Kedah State Secretary Datuk Bakar Din said this in a separate press conference on Wednesday after Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir announced his resignation as Mentri Besar.

In a press release issued on Wednesday morning, Bakar said the Bakar Bata assemblyman would be sworn in as the new Kedah Mentri Besar under the provisions of the Kedah State Constitution. – MyNewsHub/Bernama

 

ALOR SETAR – Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir is scheduled to give a press conference at his office at 10am Wednesday over his position as Mentri Besar.

It is believed that he would officially announce his resignation from the post after defending it over the last two weeks.

The announcement that the press conference would be held later today was sent to the media at about 11pm Tuesday, shortly after the Kedah Regency Council was believed to have adjourned.

It was learnt that the council had deliberated the issue of the mentri besar’s position late into the night after meeting Opposition assemblymen on Tuesday afternoon.

The Star reported that Mukhriz had agreed to resign after a dramatic fortnight full of political twists and turns.

The pressure on Mukhriz reached a new level on Tuesday when he was asked for the third time in a week to sign the resignation letter.

Highly-placed sources indicated that Mukhriz was presented with the prepared resignation letter a little after 6pm.

The third attempt to have him sign the letter came after the three members of the Regency Council huddled in a closed-door discussion among themselves in the Regency Council office located at Wisma Darul Aman.

After that, the state secretary and the state legal adviser met with Mukhriz regarding the resignation letter. – MyNewsHub/The Star

 

ALOR SETAR – The political crisis pertaining to the position of the Kedah menteri besar has extended beyond the UMNO and Barisan Nasional elected representatives to include the opposition state assemblymen.

Yesterday, 20 of the 21 BN state assemblymen had an audience with the Kedah Council of Regency at Wisma Darul Aman here. Today, it was the turn of the opposition assemblymen – eight from PAS, four PKR, two DAP and one Parti Amanah Negara.

According to an assemblyman who attended the audience, only 13 opposition assemblymen appeared before the council.

The assemblyman said Opposition Leader and Anak Bukit assemblyman Datuk Amiruddin Hamzah of PAS and Bukit Selambau assemblyman Dr R. Krishnamoorthy of PKR did not turn up as they were believed to be abroad.

“We were informed yesterday evening to attend the audience, and the two assemblymen could not return in time,” the assemblyman said when contacted.

Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Tun Dr Mahathir has come under pressure from Kedah UMNO MPs and assemblymen as well as senior state UMNO leaders led by Kedah UMNO Liaison Committee deputy chairman Datuk Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah.

They openly expressed no-confidence in the leadership of Mukhriz as the menteri besar and chairman of the state UMNO liaison committee.

— BERNAMA

 

ALOR SETAR – The 15 Kedah Opposition assemblymen have been summoned to appear before the Regency Council Tuesday.

The Opposition in Kedah includes eight representatives from PAS, four from PKR, two from DAP and one from Parti Amanah Negara.

It is learnt that they have been asked to present themselves at Wisma Darul Aman at 2pm.

Kedah Amanah chairman Dr Ismail Salleh said Pakatan Harapan leaders would meet “to synchronise our actions”.

The meeting with the council is expected to be similar to Monday’s meeting during which Barisan Nasional assemblymen met the Kedah royalty one by one to discuss the issue of removing Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir.

However, not an inkling of what transpired at Monday’s meeting was released to the press.

Except for state exco member Datuk Ku Abdul Rahman Ku Ismail, none of those who attended the meeting said a word to reporters.

“I have no comment. I am tired and wish to go home and rest,” said Ku Abdul Rahman when leaving at 6.15pm.

Kedah Umno deputy chairman Datuk Seri Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah left about 6pm without speaking to the press.

His response was surprising, since he had earlier arranged to have 40 packs of nasi kandar and four dozen bottles of mineral water delivered to journalists waiting outside Wisma Darul Aman.

The meeting with the Regency Council ended after less than three hours. It had been expected to be longer, since each assemblymen was to have spent 20 minutes in private with the Kedah royalty.

Council chairman Tunku Temenggong, Tan Sri Tunku Sallehuddin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah left at 5.25pm.

He was ushered to his car by a solemn-looking Mukhriz before he too left via the side gate of Wisma Darul Aman.

Tengku Panglima Besar Datuk Seri Tunku Puteri Intan Safinaz and her convoy were seen leaving Wisma Darul Aman at 6.20pm. – The Star