Home Tags Posts tagged with "dead"

dead

 

KUALA LUMPUR – A local man was found dead with severe wounds, believed to have been beaten in front of the Speedmart 99 supermarket in Sunway Batu Caves, Selangor early today.

Gombak District Police chief ACP Ali Ahmad said police received a call on the incident at 1.58am.

“The 41-year-old victim was believed to have been beaten by more than one person but we have yet to identify the object used to hit him,” he said when contacted by Bernama here today.

Ali said the man was confirmed dead at the scene due to severe injuries on his head and face.

The police were still tracking the suspects and the motive of the murder was still under investigation, he said.

He added the victim’s body had been sent to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital. — Bernama

IPOH – A man with a slash wound on the neck was found dead in a pool of blood in some undergrowth behind his house in Buntong 1 here yesterday, police said today.

The body of Daljit Singh Jigendar Singh, 47, was found by his younger brother at about 4 pm and he informed the police, said Ipoh Police chief ACP Sum Chang Keong.

Police also found a blood-stained knife near the body and a note in Daljit Singh’s room, he said in a statement.

Sum said the body was sent to the Forensics Department of the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital.

The cause of death had yet to be ascertained and the case was for now classified as sudden death, he said.- BERNAMA

BANGKOK – A Malaysian tourist was found dead in his hotel room in Phuket yesterday, with the local police suspecting excessive consumption of alcohol as the possible cause of his death.

The man was identified as Lee Tzu Yuen, 38, who was staying at a guesthouse in Soi San Sabai, said Patong Police Lt Col Jongserm Preecha to the local media today.

According to him, there was no sign of any struggle or ransacking in his room.

A hotel worker had knocked to enter the room at 2pm yesterday to clean the room but received no answer before requesting the assistance from the management to open the room, he said,

The hotel’s management unlocked the door and found the naked body of the victim, he said, adding that the Malaysian embassy in Thailand has been notified of the incident.

The body has been sent to Patong Hospital for examination, said Jongserm. – BERNAMA

LOS ANGELES – Zsa Zsa Gabor, the Hungarian-born Hollywood siren perhaps better known for her prodigious love life than her movie credits, died Sunday after suffering a heart attack, her husband said. She was 99.

An emotional Frederic von Anhalt told AFP that Gabor had passed away at home surrounded by friends and family. ”Everybody was there. She didn’t die alone,” he told AFP by telephone, choking back sobs.

The pair married in 1986, making it her longest marriage. Gabor, who in her heyday embodied the film industry’s platinum blonde ideal, was a voluptuous former beauty queen with a penchant for lame gowns that accentuated her hourglass curves.

Her resume includes a long list of film roles in such hit movies as “Moulin Rouge,“ “Lili” and “Arriverderci Baby.”

Gabor was well known along with her sisters, fellow stars Eva and Magda. But the actress was at least as famous for her conquests between the sheets as her triumphs on the silver screen.

Like her famous great-granddaughter by marriage Paris Hilton, Gabor was among the first celebrities to be famous for her celebrity. Her thick Hungarian accent was much parodied especially her penchant for calling everyone she met “darling”  or “dahlink” as she pronounced it.

It became her unique signature. ”I call everyone‘dahlink’ because I can’t remember their names,” the socialite once said.

She wrote in her 1993 autobiography “One Lifetime is Not Enough” that she lost her virginity at the age of 15 to Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey. ”For the rest of my life, I would search for another god to eclipse him,” Gabor wrote.

Her romantic scorecard was a “Who’s Who” of Hollywood heartthrobs of her day, and her kiss-and-tell book detailed romances with screen legends Sean Connery and Frank Sinatra.

Gabor was known to be picky, however, spurning the advances of John F. Kennedy, Elvis Presley, John Huston and Henry Fonda, she wrote in her autobiography.

Nine marriages

During nine marriages and a prodigious number of affairs that made her a fixture in America’s gossip magazines, she had just one child — a daughter Francesca, fathered by hotel magnate Conrad Hilton.

Her romantic dalliances even included a flirtation with screen legend Greta Garbo. ”She kissed me straight on the mouth. And I couldn’t help kissing her back because she was so overwhelmingly strong and so beautiful,” Gabor wrote.

In June 1989, Gabor made headlines when she slapped the face of a Beverly Hills police officer for giving her a traffic ticket. She was sentenced to three days in jail and ordered to pay $13,000 in court costs.

Bouts of ill health

Gabor, who had been in and out of hospital since a hip replacement in 2010, had several close brushes with death in recent years. A 2002 car accident left the actress partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound.

She also had a stroke in 2005. One of her legs was partially amputated.

In 2011, von Anhalt said he had kept the extent of Gabor’s medical problems from her, so that she could enjoy the festivities in typical style. ”We had some champagne and caviar .. we really celebrated good,” he told AFP at the time. “I knew she had to go to the hospital, but I didn’t want to tell her anything.” – AFP

KUALA LUMPUR – An African man was found dead by passers-by at 8 pm in Jalan Cendana 3, Taman Cendana, Sungai Chua, Kajang yesterday.

Kajang Police chief ACP Othman Nanyan said the victim was believed to have been chased and attacked by three African men armed with parang.

“Two parang were found in a drain near the victim and one parang was found about 10 metres away,” he said in a statement here, today.

Two fingerprints were found on the parang while a red Hyundai Elantra believed to be the victim’s, was found 100 metres asway.

As follow-up, police arrested five Nigerian men in Kajang yesterday and early this morning to assist investigation.

The suspects, between 20 and 28 years-old, had student visas. -BERNAMA

MIRI – Two members of ‘Geng Bakam’ suspected to be linked to 16 robbery cases since last year, were shot dead by the police in a raid at an abandoned house in Luak Bay here, early today.

During the 1am raid, the two men, both in their 30s, had rushed at police with machete and fire several shots with a homemade rifle.

Sarawak CID chief Dev Kumar said their identities, however, could not be ascertained as no personal documents were found.

“However, we believe that they are foreign nationals,” he told a press conference, here, today.

He said besides the weapons, police also recovered stolen items found at the house.

Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar in his Twitter congratulated the team on the success.

In a related development, Dev said another man aged 55 years and a 25-year-old woman believed to have links with the same group were nabbed at a workers’ quarters, located by a forest near Taman Jelita Miri, yesterday.

He described the group as very dangerous as they carried out armed robberies and had injured victims previously.

“The latest case committed by the group was at 3.10am yesterday when three masked men armed with machetes broke into a house of a family of five in Taman Fabulous, Jalan Armenia Miri,” he said.

He added that one of the suspects had held a machette at the wife’s neck before escaping with a television set, mobile phones, wrist watches and cash, worth around RM23,000 in total. – BERNAMA

NICE – FRANCE. A lorry has struck a crowd after Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, killing at least 77 people and injuring dozens, officials say.

It happened on the famous Promenade des Anglais after a firework display.

The driver was “neutralised”, and guns and grenades were found inside the lorry.

One image on Twitter showed about a dozen people lying on the street.

Officials said it was an attack, and asked people to stay indoors.

About 50 people were injured, some critically, in the incident on Thursday evening.

Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said that “a lorry driver appears to have killed dozens of people”.

Prosecutor Jean-Michel Pretre said the lorry drove 2km (1.2 miles) through a large crowd, the AFP news agency reports.

Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet denied earlier reports of hostage situations and said the driver of the lorry had been “neutralised”.

He added that officials were investigating whether the driver acted alone.

No group has so far claimed responsibility, however prosecutors said the inquiry would be handled by anti-terror investigators.

French President Francois Hollande was returning back to Paris for crisis talks in the capital, his office said. Mr Hollande was in the southern city of Avignon on a private visit.

Some reports spoke of shots being exchanged between police and the occupants of the lorry but these have not been confirmed.

France had already been on high alert, following last November’s attacks in Parisin which 130 people died and hundreds were wounded.- BBC NEWS

 

POP icon Prince was treated for a drug overdose in the week before his death on Thursday, entertainment website TMZ reported, citing multiple unnamed sources.

The 57-year-old was treated at a hospital after his private jet made an unscheduled landing in Moline, Illinois last Friday following a gig in Atlanta, amid reports that he had been battling influenza.

“Multiple sources in Moline tell us Prince was rushed to a hospital and doctors gave him a ‘save shot’ … typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate,” TMZ reported.

It quoted unnamed sources as saying Prince had been advised by medics to remain in the hospital for 24 hours but decided to leave after three hours when he couldn’t get a private room.

“We know authorities in Minnesota are trying to get the hospital records from Moline to help determine (the) cause of death,” said TMZ.

Prince, whose pioneering brand of danceable funk made him one of the most influential figures in music, was declared dead Thursday after being found unconscious in an elevator at his secluded compound in Minnesota.

News of his death prompted a flood of tributes, from Barack Obama to Mick Jagger, as well as ordinary fans.

Prince’s representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment. — AFP

BUTTERWORTH – A man was found hanged while his septuagenarian mother lay dead at the family home in Perai here this morning.

The body of the 45-year-old unidentified man was found in a room on the first floor while that of his 75-year-old mother was found in a room on the ground floor of the house in Taman Emas.

Neighbours who stumbled on the bodies about 8.40am alerted the deceased’s immediate family members.

Central Seberang Perai police chief ACP Rusli Mohd Noor said the woman and her son could have died between 1am and 8.30am.

He said the house was occupied by a family of five, including the deceased.

“Our initial investigations have not indicated any criminal element,” he said.

The bodies were sent to the Seberang Jaya Hospital.

Meanwhile, a neighbour said several residents heard noises from the deceased’s house about 1.30am but did not suspect anything. – BERNAMA

SUNGAI PETANI – Two brothers aged three and five were found dead with their throats slit at a house in Taman Wira here today.

Their 35-year-old mother has been detained to facilitate investigations into the double murders.

Kedah CID chief ACP Mohd Nashir Ya said the suspect’s father, in his 60s, stumbled on the bodies in a room on the ground floor of the house about 3pm, upon returning home.

“He opened the door of his daughter’s room, only to find the bloodied bodies on a bed which did not have matress.

“The suspect was seen sitting in a corner of the room, with a kitchen knife in each hand,” he told reporters at the scene of the killings.

He said the bodies were sent to the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital, Alor Setar while the suspect was sent under police escort for mental observation at the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital.

Mohd Nashir said the suspect’s husband worked as a cook in Singapore for the past five years and only returned home once in a while. – BERNAMA