Home Tags Posts tagged with "child abuse"
Abused Schoolboy In Operating Theatre
JOHOR BARU – The 11-year-old student whose legs were amputated due to alleged physical abuse at a religious school in Kota Tinggi is currently undergoing surgery which will likely see him lose his right arm.
His aunt Dzuraidah Ahmad, 38, said that the boy entered the operating theatre of Hospital Sultan Ismail at around 8am on Wednesday. However, the procedure has been delayed as his heart rate is not stable.
She said the decision to amputate Mohamad Thaqif Amin Mohd Gaddafi’s right arm came after there was no improvement to the condition of the limb.
It was reported that his right arm and fingers had turned black due to damaged blood cells and tissue despite showing signs of improvement on Sunday.
“The doctors told us that the most important thing is saving the boy’s life and we trust them as they tried their level best to avoid cutting off his arm earlier.
“We want to prevent the infection from spreading to the rest of his body and causing more problems,” she said when contacted.
The 11-year-old is now likely to lose his right arm in addition to both his legs following the alleged abuse by the school’s assistant warden.
The suspect, 29, an ex-convict, reportedly whipped the boy and several other students with a water hose to punish them.
His police remand ends Wednesday. – The Star Online
PETALING JAYA – A participant of the 9th season reality singing competition, Mohammad Azri Abdullah, pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here today to a charge of abusing his step daughter.
Mohammad Azri, 30, who is married to 5th season Mentor champion, Salma Andi-Asis, after the charge was read out to him before Judge Mohammed Mokhzani Mokhtar.
He was charged with committing the offence on the girl, now aged 10, by dipping her hands in hot water at an apartment at Section 9, Subang Jaya here, at 8 am on May 5, 2016.
The charge, under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, provides an imprisonment for up to 20 years, or fine, or both, if found guilty.
Deputy public prosecutor V. V. Suloshani, who prosecuted, offered bail at RM15,000 with one surety, but lawyer Fahmi Abd Moin, representing Mohammad Azri, said his client was the sole family breadwinner and had three children and a mother to take care of.
The court then set bail at RM10,000 with one surety and fixed May 15 for mention.
Mohammad Azri married Salma on Jan 31 last year and the couple has a child from the marriage. – BERNAMA
PETALING JAYA – A Datuk and Datin who have been embroiled in the alleged abuse of children in a welfare home in Ipoh, have finally decided to tell their side of the story.
Breaking their silence after nearly a month, the Datuk and Datin denied all allegations of abuse and ill-treatment of the children in the Society of Caring Hands Ipoh (Sochi), which was reported in theSun on Dec 27, 2016.
On the contrary, the Datin said in 2012, her husband, who is a doctor, had received RM2million from a patient as a donation for the home and that he, the Datuk had matched the donation with RM2million of his own money.
The elderly couple, aged 74 and 71 respectively, spoke to theSun on condition of not being named, and in the presence of their lawyer recently.
The Datin said she and her husband had started Sochi in 2003 as a community service after her retirement as a teacher in an all boys Chinese vernacular school in Ipoh.
The Datin denied all allegations made by Sochi’s committee and the children levelled against her including:
> caning or abusing them;
> taking the children to her house when they did something wrong;
> making any of the children stay overnight at her house
> using her dogs to chase and frighten the children
> making any children sit inside her dog cage and having her dogs eat from their hands
> rationing food at the home.
“I deny all the allegations. I have spent a lot of time with the children. They were very good children (but) like all children they have negative qualities, (and) the negative qualities have been brought out of them,” she said.
Stressing that she keeps a diary of everything that happened in the home, the Datin claimed that the children were “lying”, “not telling the truth” and “have been coached” to make the allegations against her.
Although the Datin admitted that she did punish and discipline them, she did not elaborate on how she went about it.
“They were disciplined … You cannot run a home for children without having some form of discipline but they were not abused. If they were abused they wouldn’t have stayed there,” she said.
“The most common punishment will be grounding, and that is what they hate the most, like going for a party and not staying back. So when there is a party coming, everyone is well behaved.
“Other kinds of punishment are like how anybody would give them … like writing lines, standing in a corner.
“But I did not whip them. There was no whip there, I did not cane them, I did not abuse them at all,” she added.
She further claimed that none of the teachers and volunteers who had gone to teach the children have ever complained of any abuse, or noticed any scars on the children.
The children, in their testimonies claimed the Datin stopped caning on their hands as it was noticeable and would cane on the soles of the feet whenever they did anything deemed wrong to her.
When told that the children’s complaints have been corroborated by medical examinations conducted by a senior consultant paediatrician, the Datin alleged that the paediatrician had not complied by the Guidelines for the Hospital Management for Child Abuse and Neglect.
“The doctor came to check, the police and social welfare department were also asked to come to testify that but the welfare department didn’t ask the doctor to do it,” she said.
In the medical report by the senior consultant paediatrician of Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun, it was stated that the doctors and his team were asked to review the children “by one of the Society of Caring Hands Committee members, the police and Welfare Department” as they were suspected of being abused.
The Datin, who initially claimed that she doesn’t know the paediatrician later said he was one of the panel of doctors for the home.
Asked if she had taken the children to her house when they did something wrong, the Datin said “no” while the Datuk nodded his head to the question at the same time.
She was quick to elaborate, “It was not like that. I have brought them to my house for my daughter’s wedding. They have never stayed in my house,” she said, adding that her two Labradors, are friendly and harmless dogs and have never chased the girls.
As for the provisions for the home, she said would buy what is needed and would give the caretaker RM1,000 every month to buy whatever the children ask for.
theSun had reported in December that 12 girls staying at the Caring Hands (Kakum Karangal) welfare home run by Sochi are said to have been subjected to physical and emotional abuse for years.
According to 12 ill-treated girls aged between seven and 18, the “abusive hands” were allegedly those of the home manager, a Datin and wife of a Datuk who is a senior official of the society.
The alleged abuse case is now under investigation by the authorities. – The Sun Daily
SEREMBAN – The three-year-old toddler, Muhammad Adam, who was found alone at a house in Gemencheh, Tampin yesterday is now in good condition and active.
The medical reports issued by the Tampin Hospital also stated that there were no signs of physical abuse on the boy, said Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Rohani Karim.
She said her ministry viewed the incident seriously and the Social Welfare Department (JKM) would continue to monitor the case closely.
“The ministry, through JKM, has conducted an early intervention session with the counsellor-in-charge of the case upon the child’s admission to the Tampin Hospital.
“JKM will also complete its investigation to put him under the care of the proper person namely his grandfather who has expressed the desire to take care of the child before obtaining a temporary injunction for him from the court,” she said in a statement here today.
Rohani said according to Section 31 and Section 33 of the Child Act 2001, it was an offence for parents or a guardian to leave a child without reasonable supervision.
“According to Section 31, parents may be fined not more than RM20,000 or jailed for a term not exceeding 10 years and Section 33 carries a fine of not more than RM5,000 or two years’ jail or both upon conviction,” she said. – BERNAMA
PETALING JAYA: A 30-year-old woman, who had chained her daughter’s leg to a lamp post at Bandar Sunway near here, was briefly questioned and released on Wednesday night.
Subang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Mohammad Azlin Sadari said police were alerted about the incident at the Lagoon Perdana apartment here at Bandar Sunway about 6.35pm on Wednesday.
“When our men arrived at the scene, a group of people had already gathered around the girl who was chained to a pole,” he said.
Ten minutes later, the mother arrived and admitted to chaining her daughter.
Police then advised the mother to release the eight-year-old girl who was chained as punishment as she often refused to go to school.
He added that both mother and daughter were brought to the Subang Jaya district police headquarters for questioning.
ACP Azlin said that it was the first time the girl was chained and police later released the woman and girl.
He added police were investigating the case under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001 for neglect and exposure of a child to physical injury.
IPOH: A two-year-old boy with brain haemorrhage who was left by the roadside (pic) to die is recuperating at the hospital here.
A passer-by found the unconscious boy inside a box in Jalan Ampang Baru 6 at about 1.30pm on July 30 before sending him to the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital.
He has now regained consciousness and is able to breathe on his own.
Suspecting that the boy was a victim of child abuse, police are urging eyewitnesses to come forward.
Those with information should contact investigating officer Asst Supt Kamariah Jamaludin at 016-524 9091 or 05-245 1628/1629
SUNGAI PETANI: A two-year-old girl died on the way to the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital here suspected to have been physically abused by her mother and boyfriend.
Kuala Muda police chief Asst Comm Md Zukir Md Isa (pic) said Ainul Solehah Mohd Husamuddin was rushed to the hospital by her 22-year-old mother.
“The victim was pronounced dead by the hospital at 9.40pm Wednesday,” he said in a statement.
ACP Md Zukir said the girl had new and old bruises all over her body including her stomach and private part.
“Post-morten result found out that there was a swelling at the top of her head and she fractured her right shoulder,” he said.
“The victim sustained the injuries over two to three days, believed to be from Aug 8 after she returned home from her mother’s house in Manjung,Perak” he said.
On Jan 9, the girl was also found to have been abused by her babysitter who has been charged in court on Feb 1.
“The victim’s mother and her 24-year old male companion had been arrested and remanded for one week from Aug 11 to assist in murder investigations,” said ACP Md Zukir.
SUNGAI PETANI: A ‘ustaz’ (religious teacher) is being held under remand for four days from Friday to assist a police probe into caning injuries suffered by three male pupils at a religious school here.
The 27-year-old ustaz was arrested in Parit Buntar, Perak, at 10.10pm yesterday after the incident at the school went viral over social media, said Kuala Muda Police chief ACP Md Zukir Md Isa today.
He told Bernama the teacher was being remanded under Section 324 of the Penal Code relating to voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means.
The penalty, upon conviction, is imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with whipping or any two of such punishments.
Md Zukir said the police had recorded statements from two of the pupils, aged 12 and 10, from Tikam Batu, Sungai Petani, and Bayan Lepas, Penang. The third pupil had yet to be contacted, he added. – Bernama
By Muhammad Ammar Syafiq Hamzah
KUALA LUMPUR: The setting up of a sex offender registry will enable authorities to monitor the movement of sex offenders and address increasing cases of child abuse, says an expert.
Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM) Faculty of Syariah and Law Dean, Dr Syahirah Abdul Shukor said with current technology, it was crucial for not only childcare centres and organisations, but also the community (in the housing area) to have a database to screen those intending to work with children.
She said potential applicants for a job should be screened and identified by the employers on whether they were linked to any sexual offence.
“By having sex offenders and predators recorded in a register, they can be closely monitored, tracked and prevented from repeating their offences,” she told Bernama when contacted here today.
Recently, paedophile Richard Huckle was given 22 life sentences by a court in London for sexually violating 23 children and babies in Malaysia, as well as children in Cambodia for almost a decade.
Reuters reported that Huckle, 30, would be in jail for at least 23 years for the crimes he committed on children aged between six months and 12 years, who were from poor families in Kuala Lumpur.
Huckle pleaded guilty to 71 offences and police found more than 20,000 pornographic images of children in his computer and camera when he was arrested at Gatwick Airport in London in 2014.
British media reported that Huckle, a freelance photographer had abused up to 200 children aged between six months and 12 years from 2006 to 2014.
Dr Syahirah, who has been conducting research on children sexually abused via the Internet since 2005, by comparing the legal approaches under United Kingdom and Malaysian laws, said rehabilitation programmes for sexual offenders should also be emphasised and given priority so that they could improve themselves.
“They also need support from society to overcome their problem,” she added.
Meanwhile, United Nations’ Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) Vice-Chairman, Datuk Yasmeen Muhamad Shariff said close cooperation among the international police forces in sharing information and intelligence on sex offenders was imperative to keep tabs on whether a paedophile was heading to Malaysia.
“We have many travellers coming to Malaysia and once they cross the Malaysian Immigration, no one knows where they are headed for. How the Malaysian police track down these people and keep tabs on them should also be addressed.
“We must always keep pushing forward the boundaries for child protection and child rights. There is never enough that we can do for children,” she noted.
The father of a seven-year-old Japanese boy who was found alive after six nights alone in a dense forest says his son has forgiven him.
Takayuki Tanooka, 44, and his wife briefly left Yamato Tanooka by the side of the road on the northern island of Hokkaido on 28 May as punishment.
When they came back he was gone. A huge search was launched and the boy was found at a military base on Friday.
The case sparked a debate in Japan about parenting.
Mr Tanooka told broadcaster TBS in an interview aired on Monday: “I said to him, ‘Dad made you go though such a hard time. I am sorry’.”
“And then, my son said, ‘You are a good dad. I forgive you’.”.
Yamato, who was taken to hospital, is expected to be discharged on Tuesday.
The boy was found on Friday morning in a hut on a military drill field, some 5.5km (3.4 miles) from where he was left as a punishment for throwing stones at people and cars.
He said he had lost his sense of direction from crying and walked for about five hours before arriving at the building where he was found, according to The Mainichi newspaper.
He slept between two mattresses and “met no-one”.
He said he drank water from a tap at the facility but ate nothing for six days, the newspaper said.
When found, Yamato was lightly dehydrated, malnourished and had scrapes on his arms and legs but was said to be otherwise in good health.
Police have said they will not be pressing charges against the parents.-BBC News
123Next Page 1 of 3