Home Tags Posts tagged with "1mdb"
KUALA LUMPUR – The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has not been contacted by the United States’ Department of Justice (DoJ) over its latest filing of lawsuits to recover assets allegedly embezzled from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), said Its chief commissioner, Datuk Dzulkifli Ahmad.
He said that until today MACC has been contacted or received any notification on the matter from the DoJ.
“Besides MACC, I have learned that the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) and Attorney-General’s Chambers were also informed about the matter, and this is second time DoJ has done so (filed such lawsuits),” he told reporters after launching ‘Sahabat SPRM’ programme, here Saturday.
KUALA LUMPUR – The most recent allegations of misappropriation linked with 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) highlighted by the US’ Department of Justice (DoJ) are not backed with proof, the state investment firm said.
In a statement that came after DoJ’s announcement last night, the firm said it noted the civil lawsuit filed by the department against certain assets.
However, the firm was not a party in the civil lawsuit and had not been contacted by the DoJ in relation to the matter, 1MDB said.
“1MDB notes that the civil lawsuit does not contain any appendices with documentary proof or witness statements to support the allegations made by the DoJ,” it said.
The statement reiterated that 1MDB would give its fullest cooperation with any foreign lawful authority, but “subject to international protocols governing such matters and the advice of relevant domestic lawful authorities”.
The government had earlier expressed its concern that the DoJ failed to seek the cooperation from the former or 1MDB over the DoJ’s latest lawsuits brought against various assets, it was stated here today.
The DoJ in an announcement of its latest civil suits last night seeks to seize another US$540 million in assets allegedly stolen from 1MDB. – Bernama
KUALA LUMPUR – Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali said today there has been no evidence from any investigation conducted by law enforcement agencies in various jurisdictions showing misappropriation of money from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
“The Attorney General´s Chambers of Malaysia (AGC) takes note of the latest civil lawsuits by the United States Department of Justice (DoJ).
“This second action comes on the anniversary of the first, and appears to be a repeat of it. We would like to express frustration that yet again AGC was not informed or alerted by DoJ of this action.
“We also note that there has been no evidence from any investigation conducted by any law enforcement agencies in various jurisdictions that shows that money has been misappropriated from 1MDB; and that there have been no criminal charges against any individuals for misappropriation of funds from 1MDB, ” he said in a statement.
Mohamed Apandi said 1MDB was a Malaysian company and had been the subject of multiple investigations within Malaysia, including by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission, Auditor-General and bi-partisan Public Accounts Committee.
“After review, we found that no crime was committed. Presently, there is still an ongoing investigation conducted by the Royal Malaysia Police concerning 1MDB.
“We would like to express strong concerns at the insinuations that have been made against the Prime Minister of criminal wrongdoing. At no point in the civil claims is the Prime Minister named as a defendant or has been alleged to have committed any criminal wrongdoing, ” he said.
Mohamed Apandi also said that to date the AGC had yet to receive any request from DoJ to obtain any information or evidence.
“However, we would welcome such a request in line with our commitment to international cooperation and the fight against money laundering.
“As I have promised before, AGC will not hesitate to initiate proceedings against the perpetrators of criminal acts, provided there is sufficient evidence to do so. Any wrongdoing will be punished and Malaysia will always uphold the rule of law, ” he said.
Datuk Seri Tengku Sariffuddin Tengku Ahmad
KUALA LUMPUR – The Malaysian government is concerned that the United States Department of Justice (DoJ) failed to seek the cooperation of the government or 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) over the DoJ’s latest lawsuits brought against various assets, it was stated here today.
Press Secretary to the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Tengku Sariffuddin Tengku Ahmad, in stating this, also said that the government is also concerned by the unnecessary and gratuitous naming of certain matters and individuals that are only relevant to domestic political manipulation and interference.
“This suggests a motivation that goes beyond the objective of seizing assets,” he said in a statement.
Tengku Sariffuddin said the Malaysian government will fully cooperate with any lawful investigation of Malaysian companies or citizens in accordance with international protocols.
“There have been numerous and extensive investigations by Malaysian authorities into 1MDB, including by independent and bi-partisan bodies such as the Public Accounts Committee, and no crime was found.
“1MDB is still the subject of an investigation by the Royal Malaysia Police. If there is evidence of wrongdoing, Malaysia will not hesitate to take action,” he said.
Until then, he said, unproven allegations should not be taken as facts.
“And we take note of DoJ’s own press release, which states that “A civil forfeiture complaint is merely an allegation that money or property was involved in or represents the proceeds of a crime. These allegations are not proven until a court awards judgment in favour of the U.S.”.
Tengku Sariffuddin said the judicial process is not served by headline seeking and Malaysia stands firm in its support of transparency and good governance.
That includes ensuring that accusations have a basis in fact, rather than smears briefed by political opponents, he said.
“We are confident that justice will take its course and Malaysia will continue to cooperate with all willing international agencies.
“As the Prime Minister has always maintained, if any wrongdoing is proven, the law will be enforced without exception,” he said.
TELUK INTAN – The move by Perak DAP in spreading lies that the MB Inc is just like the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal is a ploy to ensure the survival of the party besides seeking public sympathy.
Perak Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir said the opposition, which was running out of ideas, was willing to continue with their lies as long as they can topple the Barisan Nasional (BN) government.
“They have run out of ideas and have no issues to be played up to topple the BN. So, lying to the people is carried out to ensure their political survival and continued support,” he said.
He disclosed this to reporters after the meeting with about 1,000 members of the Chinese community in Pasir Bedamar, here in conjunction with the five-day Menteri Besar Retreat programme in Hilir Perak beginning today.
Earlier, the DAP in its official website issued a statement that the Perak MB Inc had the potential to become a scandal as big as the 1MDB if its secrets were not exposed.
Zambry said the MB Inc issue raised by the DAP was not new to the opposition as they had previously hurled numerous slanders.
Meanwhile, the Menteri Besar urged the opposition against using civil servants as their tools in spreading slanders.
“They only quoted the civil servants as their sources of information but when asked to prove them they dare not do it,” he added. – BERNAMA
KUALA LUMPUR – The High Court has set May 22 to hear Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and the government’s applications to strike out the 1MDB lawsuit against them by Petaling Jaya Utara MP Tony Pua Kiam Wee.
Pua sued the defendants on Jan 16, claiming Najib had committed misfeasance involving 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) funds.
He is seeking general, aggravated and exemplary damages, interest, cost and other reliefs deemed fit by the court.
The Prime Minister as the first defendent filed his application to strike out the suit on Feb 14, on grounds that Pua was not a civil servant as he claimed in his writ of summons and statement of claim.
Najib was represented by counsel Nor Hazira Abu Haiyan in the case.
The government as the second defendant filed its application to strike out the suit on March 2.
Senior federal counsel Zureen Elina Mohd Dom told reporters when met after the case management in chambers before justice Datuk John Louis O’Hara today, that Pua did not have the locus standi to file the suit.
“The plaintiff’s claim is frivolous, vexatious and an abuse of court process,” claimed SFC who is representing the second defendant.
At the proceeding today, Pua was represented by counsel Joanne Chua. – BERNAMA
KUALA LUMPUR: 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) has announced the appointment of Parker Randall as its auditor.
In a statement, the company said it submitted forms 11 and 52 to the Companies Commission of Malaysia (CCM) on Jan 3, 2017, to confirm the appointment.
The CCM website relates both forms to the application for change in company name.
Meanwhile, in Putrajaya Treasury Secretary-General Tan Sri Dr Mohd Irwan Serigar Abdullah (pic), who is also 1MDB chairman, said Parker Randall was currently auditing some of 1MDB’s subsidiaries.
“We (will) wait for the (audit) report,” he told a press conference at the Treasury on Thursday.
Parker Randall is an international auditing firm and is the fourth auditor appointed by 1MDB after Ernst & Young, KPMG and Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Ltd. – Bernama
KUALA LUMPUR – Those who performed their Haj pilgrimage under the Prime Minister-1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) Foundation Special Programme need not worry about the status of their Haj.
Kelantan Mufti, Datuk Mohamad Shukri Mohamad said they should instead be confident that each religious obligation performed would be accepted by Allah, the Almighty and that it (Haj status) was not determined by anyone.
“They should place their hope and ‘berdoa’ (pray) that their religious rituals like the daily prayers, fasting, paying zakat (tithe) and performing the Haj are accepted and be convinced that Allah accepts their requests,” he said when contacted, here, today.
The mufti was commenting on the statement by former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad who claimed that the Haj performed through the 1MDB Foundation sponsorship would not be ‘haji mabrur’ (divinely accepted Haj).
Mohamed Shukri said the foundation’s sponsorship programme should continue to help the less fortunate perform the fifth tenet of Islam.
“Not everyone has the opportunity to be a ‘tetamu Allah’ (guest of Allah) and this noble effort can continue…it’s not a problem to accept this sponsorship to perform the Haj,” he said.
Meanwhile, National Mosque imam, Khisamudin Ismail said Dr Mahathir’s statement was only politically motivated and the pilgrims involved should not be worried.
Pekan District Village Heads Association chairman, Abdul Kadir Bakar said he was disappointed and saddened by the former premier’s statement on the matter.
“To me, he has no right to determine whether a person’s Haj pilgrimage is ‘haji mabrur’ or not.
“Also, the statement is politically motivated, making some of the pilgrims involved angry as they are grateful to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak for having initiated such a programme,’ he said.
Abdul Kadir said he himself had the opportunity to perform the Haj with the launching of the programme in 2011. – BERNAMA
ALOR SETAR – Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad regarding those performing the pilgrimage through the Prime Minister-1MDB Foundation Special Haj Programme as not attaining ‘haji mabrur’ (divinely accepted Haj), is seen as an act of political desperation to the extent of using religion.
Kedah Menteri Besar, Datuk Seri Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah said Dr Mahathir, who was prime minister for 22 years, should not have made such a statement as only Allah The Almighty could evaluate a person’s religious practice as acceptable or not.
“It’s not our task to evaluate…as humans, we just focus on the religious obligations…do not use this issue for personal interest,” he said after a visit to Sekolah Kebangsaan Mergong, here, today.
Dr Mahathir had allegedly made the remark during a ceramah (public talk) at Taman Wira Mergong, here, recently that not attaining haji mabrur was purportedly because of the ‘haram’ (forbidden) Haj programme sponsorship money as it had been stolen by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Tun Najib Razak from 1MDB. – BERNAMA
Deputy Minister of Finance Datuk Johari Abdul Ghani
KUALA LUMPUR – Second Finance Minister Datuk Johari Abdul Ghani commended the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) for its speedy action on alleged money laundering related to 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
“Very good. They have taken action, very good,” he said when asked to comment on the three individuals who thus far were convicted for funds misappropriated from 1MDB.
It was reported that former Swiss Bank BSI employee Yeo Jiawei became the third person to be convicted in Singapore’s 1MDB probe. Two other former private bankers from BSI have also been jailed in Singapore for fraud in connection with the case.
Johari called on all banks to facilitate investigation related to 1MDB.
“As far as Malaysia is concerned, we are going through that process (investigate),” he said on the sidelines of Prasarana Malaysia Bhd’s Rapid KL-Ampang LRT Line 20th anniversary celebration at Bukit Jalil today.
Johari also reiterated that there would be no business activity at 1MDB.
“Run off means we are not going to do any business in 1MDB. It becomes a shelf company,” he said when asked on his previous interview with a newswire in which he stated that the government was going to “run off with 1MDB.” – BERNAMA
123...27Next Page 1 of 27