Sungai Pinang Not Main Cause Of Floods In State – Gerakan

in Latest

GEORGE TOWN – The Penang Gerakan has slammed the DAP-led state government for blaming the delay in the implementation of the Sungai Pinang mitigation project as the main reason for the flood woes in the state.

Its Bukit Bendera Youth deputy chief, Khaw Poh Chung said many flood-hit
parts in
the state had no link to Sungai Pinang at all.

“We can see that Teluk Bahang, Batu Maung, Sungai Nibong and the mainland are not linked to Sungai Pinang.

“As such, why is the state government focusing only on the Sungai Pinang mitigation project?,” he asked at a press conference here today.

Previously, the state government had blamed the flood that occurred in the state, especially in the George Town area, as being due to a delay in the implementation of flood mitigation works in Sungai Pinang river.

On Deepavali day (Oct 29), the city was hit by floods, leaving hundreds of houses inundated and reducing traffic to a standstill for several hours.

Since then, several areas, especially Jalan P. Ramlee, were flooded more than thrice and yesterday, the nightmare recurred, whereby SPM candidates of SMK Abdullah Munshi had to brave the floods and went to school to sit for their examination, via boat.

Worse, the continuous rain caused eight villages in Teluk Bahang to be flooded, followed by a landslide and road collapse in Teluk Bahang which led to the road closure.

Besides Teluk Bahang, part of Bandar Baru Air Itam, Jalan Masjid Negeri and Paya Terubong in the island were also flooded.

Khaw said the state government should realise the floods were not only because of Sungai Pinang but also due to outdated drainage system, as well as over development.
– BERNAMA