Stockholm Truck Attack: Man Arrested After Five Killed In Shopping Street

in Latest

A MAN has been arrested “on suspicion of terrorist crimes” after a truck crashed into a crowd in central Stockholm, killing five people and injuring 15 others.

The attack sent terrified shoppers running for their lives as the stolen truck rammed pedestrians and crashed into a department store shortly after 2:00pm local time on Friday.

“I turned around and saw a big truck coming towards me. It swerved from side to side. It didn’t look out of control, it was trying to hit people,” said Glen Foran, an Australian tourist.

“It hit people, it was terrible. It hit a pram with a kid in it, demolished it.”

Swedish prosecutors said the detained man had been arrested on the strongest degree of suspicion of committing a terror crime.

Sweden’s legal system has several degrees regarding the strength of suspicion.

“One person has been arrested on suspicion of terrorist crimes through murder,” a spokesperson at the prosecutors office said.

Swedish public broadcaster SVT reported that a second man had been arrested and he had a connection to the previously arrested person.

But police have declined to comment on whether it had arrested any additional suspects.

“Sweden has been attacked. Everything points to the fact that this is a terrorist attack,” Prime Minister Stefan Lofven told reporters.

“We are determined never to let the values that we treasure — democracy, human rights and freedom — to be undermined by hatred.”

The grim routine begins again

The tragedy will now trigger a grim, all too well-rehearsed routine, writes Europe correspondent James Glenday.
Sweden’s King Carl Gustaf said in a statement: “Our thoughts are going out to those that were affected, and to their families.”

Former Gold Coast resident Sabina Allotta, who witnessed the attack unfold from her office window 150 metres away, said it was “surreal”.

“[I] just saw all these people just start piling out on the streets and … then police cars driving along footpaths … helicopters turned up very quickly,” she told the ABC.

“[There was] just a very, very eerie feeling that something was seriously wrong.”

Australia’s Foreign Affairs Department (DFAT) said they were providing consular assistance to one Australian who was in the vicinity of the incident but was physically unharmed.

The Australian embassy in Stockholm is cooperating with local authorities to determine if any Australians were affected by the attack.