I love me a good, DIY project to fill my boring weekend. And I also love smelling good while doing it, so why not combine both? Solid perfume is a godsend.
Because it’s easy to make, solid perfume opens the door to experimentation, creativity and individuality. Whether you’re looking to set yourself apart with a unique scent or you’re not so fond of the alcoholic undertones in most liquid perfumes, these instructions will show you how to create an inexpensive alternative.
Encapsulating scent into a buttery base is super-simple, and provides you with a tasteful to-go version of your favourites that don’t come in solid formulas. As for the scents, you can spritz on your favourite perfume into the mix or put in natural essential oils of your choice.
These are what you’ll need to make the cute little fragrances:
- Carrier oil (like jojoba, sweet almond, olive, or grapeseed)
- Essential oils of your choice (I particularly like the calming scent of lavender and classic rosewater)
- A container suitable for solid perfume (like an old lip balm container â€“ even if itâ€™s the â€œstickâ€ variety)
After you’ve got all your apparatus set up, follow these simple instructions:
- Put Â¼ teaspoon beeswax and Â¼ teaspoon cocoa butter into a small cup.
- Microwave in 30-second increments until fully melted.
- Using an eyedropper, add up to 1mL total of scent into the liquid and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into container and let cool for at least 30 minutes
To use the perfume, simply rub a finger around on the surface of the waxy perfume, then rub that finger on the area you want to smell good â€” the inside of your wrists and behind the ears works well. You can also use solid perfume in many other ways:
- Make a simple cedarwood perfume to rub on dog collars. The scent of cedar repels ticks, and smells good too!
- Make a cedar or cypress rub for feet â€” this prevents fungus and bacteria-related foot odour.
- Make a calm and relaxing scent using chamomile or lavender essential oils.
- Apply sparingly on business cards â€” this Japanese tradition makes your card unique and memorable.
- Rub on the inside of your wallet to get rid of dirty money smells.
While a lot of perfumemakers now offer solids of their own line, you can create these thoughtful and easy gifts for your friends and loved ones on yourself and it would not break the bank!MYNEWSHUB