SINGAPORE – Singapore has expressed regret at the cancellation of the scheduled summit between United States President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un scheduled for June 12 here.
“Singapore hopes that the dialogue and efforts to find lasting peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula will continue,” said a statement issued late Thursday by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
It had been reported that Trump called off the planned June 12 summit via a letter addressed to Kim. The letter was posted on the White House website Thursday.
About two weeks ago, Trump announced the date and location for the historic meeting via his Twitter account.
Singapore had said on May 10 that it was ready to host the first-ever meeting between the two leaders. – BERNAMA