SANDAKAN – Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman urged residents in districts at risk of earthquakes not to panic but take precautions for their safety.
“They must always be alert and careful. At the same time, the public must be more responsible and avoid disseminating news or photographs of earthquakes which have nothing to do with us.
“In the current situation, we must cooperate and look out for each other and not cause worry and make baseless criticisms on the authorities’ response in an earthquake disaster,” he said when attending a community programme in Taman Murni PPR here, Saturday.
On June 5, 18 people, including foreigners, comprising 14 climbers and four mountain guides, were killed on Mount Kinabalu when an earthquake, measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale, hit Ranau, Sabah.
A magnitude 5.1 earthquake also hit Ranau at 2.29 am today. So far no casualties were reported.
The Malaysian Meteorological Department, in a statement today, said the epicentre of this latest was about 25 km south east of Kota Belud, Sabah.
Its tremors were felt in Ranau, Kudat, Beluran, Kota Marudu, Kota Belud, Keningau and Kinabatangan. – BERNAMA