KUALA LUMPUR – Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the release of Malaysian nationals kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf terror group was made with the cooperation between the Malaysian and the Philippine governments.
He said continuous efforts by the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM), the Foreign Ministry and other quarters, including 1Malaysia Putra Club (KP1M) had yielded results with the return of two of the kidnap victims last night.
“We are grateful because two Malaysian nationals who were kidnapped for eight months are now back in the country and have been reunited with their family members today. Thank you to all those involved in the rescue efforts.
“As for three other Malaysian nationals still there, we are working with all quarters, including the Philippine government, to bring them home. Hope they will be patient,” Najib told this reporters at his residence at Jalan Duta Monday.
Two of the five Malaysian nationals who were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf terrorists in the Philippines in July last year were rescued by Filipino security forces in an operation in the south of the republic last Thursday.
The two kidnap victims – Tayudin Anjut, 46, and Abdul Rahim Summas, 63 –arrived at the KL International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang last night and were brought to the Prime Minister’s residence, where they were also reunited with their families about 8 am today.
The Prime Minister’s wife, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, was also present at the meeting, during which they two kidnap victims related their ordeal, including the bad treatment by their kidnappers. – BERNAMA