Hottest Online News Portal

Ops Warta: 640 Arrested And 1,600 Offenders Surrender

in Latest

IPOH – Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said 640 traffic offenders were detained as of yesterday while another 1,600 offenders had surrendered since the implementation of the ‘Ops Warta’ on May 19.

He said the Royal Malaysia Police had also managed to reduce the number of warrants that had to be settled from about 1.8 million to 1.5 million as of yesterday.

The ‘Ops Warta’ was implemented to track down traffic offenders who had warrants of arrest issued against them which had yet to be settled as announced by Khalid in ‘Ops Selamat 5’ launched during the Aidilfitri celebration last year.

“We will continue this operation and I call upon the people concerned to avoid being arrested because actually we too do not like to arrest anyone.

“Don’t let us make house arrests because that is the last thing that we want to do, so I again urge the people concerned to check immediately because the method of checking had also been simplified, it can be done through the mobile phone or even go to the police station to enquire, even through the internet and many other ways,” he said.

He disclosed this at a press conference after officiating the Gathering of PDRM Civilian Officers with the Inspector-General of Police with the theme ‘Together Realising PDRM Transformation’, here today.

Khalid conceded that it was ‘not a good scene’ to detain traffic offenders at the road block but the police had no choice.

He said those found attempting to abet and protect the traffic offenders could also be prosecuted for obstructing public officers from discharging their duty.

Before going on the house-to-house operation, Khalid said the police would study the effectiveness of the implementation of ‘Ops Warta’ after two weeks. – BERNAMA

Tags:

Latest from Latest

Go to Top