Hottest Online News Portal

National Service On Hold, Set For An Overhaul

in Latest

PUTRAJAYA: Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the deferment of the National Service this year was for the transformation of the project, and that it would not affect its stakeholders.

“This one-year postponement will not affect NS camp operators, trainers, and those who hold permanent posts,” he said after attending the special announcement by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak on the current economic development and the financial position of the country at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre, here today.

Hishammuddin said a lab on NS would be conducted next month and it would involve all stakeholders including camp operators, trainers, parent representatives, and non-governmental oganisations.

“The lab which will be held with all the stakeholders is to ensure that they understand where we want to take the programme after 10 years (of implementation of the programme),” he said.

Najib, in his speech today announced that NS would be postponed this year, saving RM400 million, to enable the programme to be reviewed and improved upon.

In October last year, while tabling the 2015 Budget, Najib had announced that the NS, which had produced 800,000 trainees since its inception on Feb 16, 2004, would be reviewed, besides introducing new concepts to cater to the requirements of skill and patriotism.

Meanwhile in KUALA LUMPUR, the director-general of the National Service Training Department Datuk Mohmed Asri Yusof said his department will wait for the decision regarding the implementation of the NS transformation program and the introduction of a new course which would be discussed next month.

“After the discussion has been settled and the programme is set, we will conduct training courses for operators and trainers on the implementation of the new programme,” he said on the postponement. — Bernama

Tags:

Latest from Latest

Go to Top