KUALA KANGSAR – Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak will visit Kelantan again tomorrow to look at the damage caused by the floods in the Kuala Krai and Gua Musang districts.
He said the visit was necessary to enable the government to assess the damage and determine the form of assistance that could be provided. Najib had visited Kelantan on Saturday.
“I have seen pictures of houses that have been completely destroyed; some are left with just wooden planks.
“This means the occupants are going to face a bleak future unless they receive government assistance,” he told reporters after a visit to the flood relief centre at Sekolah Kebangsaan Sayong here today.
Najib was asked about the assistance to be given to flood victims in the two worst-affected districts of Kelantan where some people have been made homeless.
On the floods in Perak, where 7,953 people had been evacuated, Najib said efforts were being made to ensure the comfort of flood victims at evacuation centres.
He said the centres were equipped with the necessary facilities and the food was adequate.
“This is done to ease the difficulties the flood victims faced. After the floodwaters recede and they return to their homes, we will find ways to help them with the cleaning of their houses.
“The final stage is to determine the financial assistance from the government. This will be decided after the floods are no more,” he added.
The government, he said, would also repair basic infrastructure and government assets damaged by the floods. – Bernama