KUALA LUMPUR – Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has ordered the National Security Council to introduce an early warning system on earthquake, including for schools.
The instruction was issued following the earthquake, measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale, which shook Ranau yesterday, that had claimed 11 lives so far.
Muhyiddin, who is also Education Minister, in a statement Saturday, said the 23 schools in six districts in Sabah were affected by the earthquake which occurred at 7.15 am.
The schools are in the districts of Ranau, Tuaran, Kota Belud, Penampang, Nabawan and Keningau.
“I have also ordered the rescue teams to continue with action to rescue all victims, including those who were stranded on Mount Kinabalu,” he added.
The search and rescue team operating on the mountain found nine bodies today.
Last night, two bodies were brought down from the highest mountain in Southeast Asia.
Muhyiddin advised residents in areas affected by the earthquake to not panic and to always follow the advice issued by the authorities.
He prayed that they would remain calm and efforts would be made for aid to be sent to them as soon as possible.
“To families of victims killed in the earthquake, I express my condolences and pray that they remain calm,” he said.
Efforts are being made to locate eight others still missing on the mountain area. – BERNAMA