MUADZAM SHAH – More than 30 Malaysian students who refused to return home previously were now in the process of evacuation from war-hit Yemen, after the situation there worsened.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said previously theydeclined to return to Malaysia with a group of 67 students as they were preparing for an examination.
“I just received information today that the situation in Sana’a, Yemen, was getting worse and this group of 30 students made a request to return home,” he said after launching the BN Women People’s Machinery for the Rompin by-election, here today.
Hishammuddin said the evacuation process of all students involved was now arranged by the government and one Hercules C-130 aircraft of The Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) was currently in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Currently more than 100 Malaysian students are in the Hadhramaut region of Yemen where the situation is under control, he said.
“However, we are concerned that the situation in Hadramaut will get worse, the same situation as Sana’a and we are now ready to evacuate Malaysian students from there (Hadramaut),” he said.
Meanwhile, Mohamad Aiman Salman Abdul Razak, 20, a student who arrived from Aden, Yemen last Thursday when met by Bernama said the situation in Aden and Sana’a was bad, bombings occurred almost everyday near the students’ accommodation, forcing the Malaysian students to return home.
“I wish to thank the Malaysian government for their hard work to bring all of us (Malaysian students) home,” said the student from Kuantan, Pahang.
Saudi Arabia is spearheading a coalition of nine Arab states to carry out air strikes on Yemen since March 25 this year, heralding the start of a military intervention in Yemen due to a Houthi offensive.
The intervention began in response to requests for assistance from the internationally recognised but domestically contested Yemeni government of President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi. – BERNAMA