Hottest Online News Portal

MH370 Search Mission To Continue After 60,000 Sq KM

in Latest

SEPANG – Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said efforts to locate MH370 which went missing in March last year would not cease as yet.

“We have scoured almost 60,000 square kilometres of the Indian Ocean and we will increase the coverage and continue the search,” he told reporters after launchng the Malindo WiFi, Malindo Mobile and Malindomag at KLIA2 here today.

According to him, the search mission would continue to scour up to 120,000 sq km.

“At a meeting involving Australia, Malaysia and China, we decided that when the search had covered 60,000 sq km, we will expand it to another 60,000 sq km,” he said.

He was asked to comment on an Australian media report which quoted the Joint Action Coordination Centre as saying that the search area for MH370 would not be extended after 60,000 sq km.

“Well, that is not true, there must have been a miscommunication,” he said.

According to Liow, should there be no new leads after 120,000 sq km, Malaysia, China and Australia will refer the matter to the experts for further action.

MH370 was carrying 239 passengers and crew when it disappeared from the radar while heading to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur on March 8 morning. – BERNAMA

Tags:

Latest from Latest

Go to Top