KUALA LUMPUR – The Malaysian government continues all efforts to find a full and satisfactory explanation of the events that led to the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 tragedy, which was shot down over Donetsk, Ukraine, two years ago.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said Malaysia continued to strive for justice through the avenues of international law.
“Two years ago, Flight MH17 was shot down over Ukraine. It was a criminal act that outraged the world and caused the loss of all 298 lives aboard.
“We will never forget the passengers and crew, nor the grief of the victims’ families. Our thoughts and prayers are with them on this most painful of days,” he posted on his Facebook and Twitter accounts today.
The Boeing B777 aircraft, which was traveling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur and carrying 298 passengers, including crew, was shot down over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014.
Yesterday, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said Malaysia hoped to receive the preliminary conclusions on the forensic research report of Flight MH17 by the Joint Investigation Team (JIT), which would also include the type of weapon used and other pertinent details.
MH17 was shot down while cruising at an altitude of 30,000 ft and crashed in a tense area of Ukraine near the Russian border.
Last year, chairman of Dutch Safety Board Tjibbe Joustra confirmed that MH17 was shot down by a Buk surface-to-air missile over eastern Ukraine.
The report came out after 15 months of investigations undertaken by a joint investigation team from the Netherlands, Ukraine, Malaysia, Australia, United Kingdom, United States and Russia. – BERNAMA