A man who was an African immigrant, complained of foot pain for about a year. He hailed from Sudan to seek refuge in Australia, where he now resides.
Doctors at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Melbourne thought it was a regular infection, but did an x-ray on the man’s foot just in case.
Lo and behold, instead of an infection, the unnamed 38-year-old actually had a parasite known as a “guinea worm,” living inside him. You can catch a guinea worm by drinking water infected with its larvae.
The worm was likely to had been living inside him since before he left for Australia. In this x-ray you can see that the worm is in two pieces (!). Somehow it died in the man’s body, and was starting decompose.
The guinea worm is a nematode that causes dracunculiasis, also known as guinea worm disease.
They dig through flesh and set themselves free through a blister on the skin and thatÂ whole process can take years. It can sit inside the human body alive for years or die, degenerate, and then cause problems in the area
Curious of how these critters look like? Feast your eyes on this little fella, freshly ‘harvested’ from the foot of a presumably African child:
The parasite, which is found in Southern Sudan, Ethiopia, Ghana and Chad, cannot be treated but neither can it infect anyone else.
Luckily, doctors recognized the parasite and quickly sent him into surgery. The surgeons removed the pieces of the worm from his foot,and he has since made a full recovery.MYNEWSHUB