Hottest Online News Portal

Malaysian Students Express Gratitude For Evacuation From Yemen

in Latest

SEPANG – Malaysian student Mohd Syafiq Mohd Nasrun is grateful for the concern showed by the government to evacuate him and other Malaysians home before the civil war in Yemen worsens.

The 19-year-old Islamic Studies student from Baling, Kedah was among 94 Malaysians who arrived at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) here at 11.25 pm Saturday night on an Oman Air flight from Muscat.

Even though the situation in Hadramaut was under control compared to in Sana’a and Aden, he said locals faced some problems such as limited food supply and telecommunication system.

“The government’s efforts to evacuate Malaysians from the strife-torn country is timely to ensure all Malaysians there are safe and not stranded if the turmoil spreads,” he told reporters when met at KLIA.

Meanwhile, a syariah major student, Sara Izzati Saiful, 20, also expressed gratitude to the government for bringing Malaysians back from Yemen and providing food and facilities especially throughout the 10-hour bus journey from Tarim to Oman.

Her husband, Muhamad Amin Izammuddin, 22, said problems in withdrawing money from banks and limited petrol supply had compelled Malaysians in Tarim, particularly students staying outside hostels to return home.

“We also faced difficulties in dealing with the Malaysian embassy in Yemen because it is closed and has moved to Oman following the civil war,” he said.

Last night 94 Malaysians who were evacuated from Yemen arrived in the country at 11.25 pm on an Oman Air flight apart from a Singaporean and a Yemen national. This is the first group of Malaysians brought back from Tarim.

Meanwhile, Kelantan Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob was also present to welcome the group, which included his son Irsyad Abdul Hakim Ahmad, one of the Malaysian students.

In a brief speech to the Malaysians who arrived last night, Ahmad also thanked the federal government for its efforts to bring home Malaysians from Yemen.

So far Wisma Putra said 252 Malaysians had been evacuated since April 7 following the unrest in Yemen after Saudi troops that was joined by its Gulf allies launched a military operation to rescue the government of President Mansour Hadi Abedrabbo from civil conflict. – BERNAMA

Tags:

Latest from Latest

Go to Top