Hottest Online News Portal

Malaysia Cup: Pahang Three Matches Away From Defending Title

in Sports/Top News

SHAH ALAM – Defending champions, Pahang advanced to the semi-finals of the Malaysia Cup after defeating Police with a 3-2 aggregate win.

Pahang beat Police 2-1 in the quarter-final second leg match played at Shah Alam Stadium, last night.

Both teams were tied 1-1 in the first leg played at the Darul Makmur Stadium in Kuantan on Oct 3.

The ‘Tok Gajah’ squad coached by Zainal Abidin Hassan will be up against Kedah in the semifinals.

Kedah carved out a 4-3 aggregate win against Kelantan in the quarter-finals.

They will play the first leg at the Darul Aman Stadium, Kuantan on Oct 19 and the second at the Darul Makmur Stadium, Alor Setar five days later.

In last night’s match, both teams were in aggressive mode as soon as referee Mohd Nafeez Abd Wahab blew the starting whistle.

But Police drew first blood in the 18th minute when Mohd Fauzi Abd Majid nodded home a free kick taken by Ashfaq Ali.

The goal woke up the Pahang boys who piled on the pressure on the Police’s defence but the score stood till half-time.

On resumption, Pahang came charging back in search of the equaliser and found it in the 77th minute when Zeshan Rehman (pic) headed home a corner kick taken by Azamuddin Mohd Akil.

However, in the 83rd minute the ‘Tok Gajah’ were down to 10 men when their defender Damion Delano Stewart picked up a second yellow card.

Though a man down, Pahang showed no let up and deservingly won the match when substitute Mohd Fauzi Rozlan netted the winner in the 90th minute.

Meanwhile, Premier League runners-up Felda United FC who have qualified for the semis after winning by a 7-3 aggregate against Selangor will have to wait for the outcome of the quarter-final tie between Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) and Terengganu.

The quarter-final second leg match of the two teams is scheduled to be played at the Tan Sri Hassan Yunos Stadium, Larkin on Oct 16.

The first leg match at the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium in Kuala Terengganu on Oct 3 had ended in a goalless draw. – Bernama


Latest from Sports

Go to Top