KUALA LUMPUR – All North Korean officials and staff at its embassy here will be banned from leaving Malaysia in an immediate reaction to North Korea’s ban.
Stating this today, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the ban is only for the embassy personnel and not for other North Korean citizens.
“This is the Home Ministry’s reaction when North Korea is doing the same. We will deliberate the matter in the Cabinet meeting on Friday,” said Ahmad Zahid, who is also Home Minister.
It was reported that the North Korean state media has stated that all Malaysian citizens are banned from leaving the country and are potentially being held as hostage.
This comes amid an increasingly heated diplomatic row over the killing of Kim Jong-Nam in Kuala Lumpur last month.
“All Malaysian nationals in the DPRK will be temporarily prohibited from leaving the country until the incident that happened in Malaysia is properly solved,” the official Korea Central News Agency (KCNA) said earlier today, citing the foreign ministry. – The Sun/Agency