GEORGE TOWN – The denial of former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad on the
signing the Internal Security Act (ISA) detention order is a lie.
UMNO Supreme Council member Datuk Seri Tajuddin Abdul Rahman said Mahathir’s
disclaimer to clean up his own name of the ISA was untrue as only the Home
Minister (Mahathir) could issue the detention order.
He said Mahathir’s move in trying to push away responsibility to then Deputy
Home Minister, Tan Sri Megat Junid Megat Ayob was not fair.
“I was an ISA detainee who was interrogated in 1987 during Operasi Lalang. I
believe that Mahathir issued the order for detention.
“As a detainee, I was informed that so long as the Home Minister did not
sign the release letter in 60 days, I cannot be released,” he told reporters
after opening the Bayan Baru Puteri and UMNO Youth division meetings, here.
In a report on Wednesday, Mahathir denied allegations linking his name to
the person responsible for signing the ISA detention order.
Mahathir said Datuk Megat Fairouz Junaidi, the son of former deputy home
minister, Megat Junid Megat should be more aware of the ISA allegation.
Megat Fairouz had earlier wanted Dr Mahathir to stop accusing his late
father as the individual responsible for signing the ISA detention order.
Tajuddin hopes the Home Ministry (KDN) or police could open the file as
confirmation on the issue if the issue continued.
“All questions will be answered if KDN or police could open their old files
to clarify the matter,” he said.
Tajuddin said the attempt by Mahathir to detach himself from ISA issue maybe
due to his political alliance with the opposition such as DAP, PKR and AMANAH.
“Mahathir is trying to push the responsibility to other people in an attempt
to clear his name of the ISA,” he added. – Bernama