KUALA BERANG – Terengganu Police chief Datuk Aidi Ismail said that some 600,000 vehicles were expected to use the East Coast Expressway 2 during this festive season, a four-fold increase from the norm.
He said that as such, the police would place officers and personnel along the route to help reduce traffic congestion.
“Last year, about 500,000 vehicles used the route. This year, we expect the number to increase. The road is expected to be congested from June 22 to July 2,” he told reporters after a Ops Selamat 11/2017 Road Safety Campaign at the Ajil Toll Plaza here yesterday.
The campaign was officiated by State Health, Women, Family and Community Committee chairman, Roslee Daud.
Aidi said traffic officers would also be stationed at exits from the highway to help ease congestion as well as monitor motorists for offences.
Besides the LPT 2, Aidi said, congestion was also expected along seven other routes in the districts of Kuala Terengganu, Besut and Setiu.
In Kuala Terenganu, the roads affected would be Jalan Sultan Mohamad; Jalan Tengku Mizan, Bulatan Batu 6 heading towards Banggol Air Lilih and at the Kuala Terengganu Toll Plaza; while in Setiu, it would be at the Chalok and Guntung Luar intersections, and in Besut, at Jertih.
He also said that policemen from other branches were also being mobilised to curb house-breaking and thefts during the period. – BERNAMA