KUALA LUMPUR – The contractor involved in constructing Jalan 3/1 and 6/1 at Kampung Melayu Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM), Kepong here has been directed for the third time by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to cease all activities including earthwork.
A warning notice issued by DBKL’s enforcement department effective July 3 had been posted at the entrance to the project site which was also cordoned off with yellow tape.
According to the notice, the contractor had positioned, erected structures without authority from the mayor, which is an offence under Section 70A of the Street Drainage and Building Act 1974.
In April, Bernama reported that the contractor had been ordered to stop operations through similar notices in March and April.
The project received media coverage following claims by residents that garbage rather than earth and stones were being used to fill up a ravine that was more than 15 metres deep.
“We have issued a ‘stop work order’ notice and the case is still under investigation so we cannot yet disclose what further action we would be taking,” a DBKL spokesman told Bernama when contacted.
The project would potentially pave an alternative route to the nearby highway for residents.
Meanwhile, Kampung Melayu FRIM Residents Association, infrastructure bureau chief Abdullah Soheimi Ishak said ‘roro’ trucks were no longer seen entering the project site.
“We leave it to DBKL to settle the issue and we hope there won’t be any more dumping of garbage in the project site so that we can be assured of a safe alternative route,” he said. – BERNAMA