MELAKA: The Road Transport Department (JPJ) has begun issuing notices of interview to vehicle owners detected to have used the emergency lane at KM228 of the North-South Expressway here, last Sunday.
Melaka JPJ Director Mohd Fadhil Hassan said vehicle owners receiving the notices had a grace period of two weeks to present themselves at the JPJ office for further investigation.
“If the owners did not drive the vehicles concerned at the time stated, they should inform (the JPJ) who had driven their vehicles at that time.
“In case the owner refuses (to be present at the JPJ office), we will issue summons for non-compliance with the notice,” he told reporters after the oath-taking ceremony for Tun Mohd Khalil Yaakob as the Yang di-Pertua Negeri Melaka for the fourth term, here today.
Yesterday, JPJ Director of Enforcement Datuk V.Valluvan said 91 vehicles had used the emergency lane, and seven of them including three vehicles with Singapore registration numbers had been identified as blocking the ambulance lane and would be charged in court.
In the incident last Sunday, the vehicles concerned had been found to have used the emergency lane to the extent of causing the ambulance to arrive late at the scene of the accident near the Simpang Ampat exit, here.