Hottest Online News Portal

Indonesian Crewman Shot Trying To Stop Pirate From Entering Ship

in Latest

KUANTAN – An Indonesian crew of the tanker MT Orkim Harmony was shot because he tried to fight a pirate on June 11, said Indonesian Deputy Ambassador to Malaysia, Hermono.

He said this was narrated by the Indonesian crew members to him when he met them this morning.

“The victim Mawit Matin, 46, from Bangkalan had opened a cabin door to take out the garbage and encountered someone. A fight ensued and he was shot on the thigh,” he said.

He said this when met by reporters after visiting four Indonesian crew members who arrived on Mt Orkim Harmony at the Kuantan Port, at 7.50 am today.

He believed Mavit had tried to prevent a pirate from entering the ship.

He said Mavit’s family arrived in Kuala Lumpur yesterday night and was flown to Kelantan to visit him. He was being treated at the Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital (HUSM), Kubang Kerian.

Hermono said four personnel of the Indonesian Embassy led by him had been at the Kuantan Harbour since midnight last night to wait for the ship.

He said the four crewmen were healthy and did not experience serious trauma despite being held captive for more than a week.

“The four other Indonesian crew are not hurt. In fact, they, and the other members of the crew, had not been abused when they were held captive by the pirates,” he said.

Other than Mawit, the four others were Bambang Suryawan, 43, from Tanjung Pinang; Nelson Hasiholan Sitorus, 35, from Dolol Marubun, Ntan Kombongan, 30, from Sesean and Iwan Asriadi, 39, of Parepare.

He said, during the meeting, one of them said he wanted to quit while three others were still keen to work with the company.

“Maybe, it was just a spontaneous reaction when asked, regardless we give them the chance if they still want to continue working here,” he said.

It is understood that all the crew of the tanker, which belonged to Magna Meridian Sdn Bhd, would undergo health examination and have their statements taken down.

Subsequently, the Indonesian crew would be taken to the embassy this evening.

All the 22 crew of MT Orkim Harmony were freed at 2.30am yesterday.

MT Orkim Harmony, with 6,000 metric tonnes of petrol worth RM21 million was reported missing at 8.57 pm on June 11 while heading to Kuantan Port from Melaka. – BERNAMA

Latest from Latest

Go to Top