KUALA LUMPUR – The Home Ministry (KDN) does not rule out the possibility that there will be groups waiting to cause chaos in the Bersih 4 illegal rally planned for Friday and Saturday.
Its Deputy Minister Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed said the anarchist group joining the rally would provoke the police into using force against the participants.
“The act of provocation will cause the police to be blamed for using force against the participants, which will increase hatred towards the authorities and the government,” he said in a statement here, today.
Nur Jazlan said police would mobilise some 4,000 personnel to ensure public order and safety during the illegal rally.
He said the rally, which will also be held simultaneously in several areas in Kuala Lumpur, Kuching (Sarawak) and Kota Kinabalu (Sabah), would cost the government millions of ringgit because a large number of police personnel and equipment would be needed to be mobilised during the rally.
Nur Jazlan said what was more sad was the participants of the rally were being exploited by the opposition and being used as political tool to overthrow the government.
“I see similarities (between Bersih 4) and Bersih rally in 2012, where the participation of opposition parties had damaged the goal to have a peaceful gathering, when chaos broke out.
“What was said to be the freedom to assemble and noble intention were lies because it had been proven that it was masterminded by opposition politicians,” he said.
He said the people could choose their government through the ballot at the next general election.
“I really hope that Malaysians will not be fooled into joining the illegal Bersih 4 rally as the possibility of disturbances is very high because we don’t know the background of the participants, who may consist groups who want to take advantage of creating chaos.
“For this reason, police do not agree with the demonstration as there is no one who can be held responsible for any injuries or damage to property,” he said. – BERNAMA