PUTRAJAYA – The Home Ministry is considering issuing a special pass under the Temporary Relocation Programme for Syrian Migrants to a Syrian man who has been stranded at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2), Sepang for over a month.
Home Deputy Minister Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed said however, the 36-year-old man had to undergo security screening, just as other Syrian migrants before the pass could be issued to him.
”This is because we need to investigate the background of the individual to prevent elements of terrorism, including Daesh, from entering the country.
”We need to be careful in considering the application, especially from people of war-torn countries,” he told a press conference after attending the Immigration Day celebration and the 2017 Excellent Service Awards of the Immigration Department here today.
The media recently reported that Hassan al Kontar claimed that he had been living at the airport since March 7, for fear of being arrested if repatriated to Syria, where a civil war has been raging for the past seven years.
He has been posting video blogs of his daily life on Twitter and Facebook which attracted the attention of human rights groups and the media. – BERNAMA