SHAH ALAM – Users of the Federal Highway have urged the authorities to expedite the demolition work of the Batu Tiga and Sungai Rasau toll plazas as the now idle and non-operational toll booths could be hazardous to motorists.
An accident at the Batu Tiga toll plaza which claimed the lives of two persons early yesterday proved that there was a basis for their concern.
In the 6.36 am incident, Muhammad Azki Dahlan Jamit, 21, and Norsya’Baniah Norhisham, 20, were killed after the Perodua Kancil car they were in skidded and rammed into one of the toll booths.
The driver of the vehicle sustained serious injuries and is currently receiving treatment at the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital, Klang near here.
Motorist Mohd Faiz Anuar, 31, who commutes to work using the highway on daily basis said the toll plaza could really be hazardous as many motorists tend to suddenly slow down their vehicles upon reaching the toll plaza due to the narrow passage.
“This condition is quite dangerous especially at night and early morning as well as during peak hours. The demolition of the toll plaza can also ensure smooth traffic flow on the highway,” he told Bernama today.
Another user Ahmad Ekhlas Hazlan said the demolition work should be expedited to prevent recurrence of such fatal accident.
Meanwhile, Malaysian Highway Authority director-general Datuk Ir Ismail Md Salleh when asked to comment on the matter said PLUS Malaysia Berhad (PLUS), as the former operator of the toll plazas, was in the process of appointing contractor to carry out the demolition work.
“I expect the tendering process (for the appointment of contractor) to be completed in two months the latest or earlier,” he told Bernama.
He also advised highway users to be more careful when travelling through the toll plazas as the lane was only three-metre wide.
Shah Alam UMNO division chief Datuk Azhari Shaari said they were closely monitoring the situation and had submitted a letter to PLUS to expedite the demolition work.
“Shah Alam UMNO really hoped that the toll plazas will be demolished as soon as possible for the safety of road users as well as to ensure smooth traffic. Insya Allah, based on the feedback received, the demolition work will be carried out immediately,” he said.
The toll collection at the Batu Tiga and Sungai Rasau toll plazas were abolished on Jan 1.
The abolishment of the toll collection at the two plazas, as well as at Bukit Kayu Hitam in Kedah and at the Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL) in Johor was announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak when tabling the Budget 2018 on Oct 27 last year as part of the government’s efforts to ease the burden of the people. – BERNAMA