Hottest Online News Portal

Heavy Vehicles Complex at Bukit Kayu Hitam Now Open

in Latest

BUKIT KAYU HITAM – The new Heavy Vehicles Complex at the Bukit Kayu Hitam Immigration, Customs, Quarantine and Security (ICQS) Complex Phase 1 will be opened involving vehicles entering and leaving Thailand and Malaysia.

The announcement was made by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi after chairing the High Level Committee Meeting on ICQS security, here today.

Ahmad Zahid, who is also the Home Minister, said the opening involved 60 per cent of the development components on Phase 1 with the remaining 40 per cent comprising the Light Vehicle Complex, Operational and Administrative Office as well as public amenities.

“Five departments and agencies involved have been instructed to carry out full operations on Nov 1, 2017…which means the full 100 per cent handing over of the ICQS will be on Oct 31.

“This HLC will come again to the ICQS to look at the full operations without any weaknesses,” he told reporters after chairing the meeting at the Malaysian Border Control Agency Complex (Aksem) here.

Also present were Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai, Deputy Home Minister Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed and Deputy Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Johari Baharom.

The full handing over of the new RM425 million complex by the developing company, Syarikat Northern Gateway Infrastructure Sdn Bhd to the Malaysian government will be carried out later.

He said that on Nov 1, operations at the ICQS would be carried out for 20 hours a day while in January 2019, operations there would be carried out fully for 24 hours a day.

Ahmad Zahid said in this regard, he was confident all hindrances and problems could be overcome in order to realise the aspirations of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak to turn Malaysia into a transportation and logistical hub for the Asean region.

“We are serious in tackling the hindrances faced in order to realise what had been directed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. Although we are on holiday, we have to come down on the ground to ensure the success of the ICQS for the sake of the people.

Commenting further on the opening of 24-hour operations later, Ahmad Zahid said he had earlier met with Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister who is also the country’s Defence Minister, Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan to discuss the matter.

He expressed satisfaction on the development of the new ICQS as a result of positive coordination between the various departments and agencies concerned as well as the Kedah State Government.

“Previously, the construction was delayed by more than 700 days and this is my third visit and my colleagues too are satisfied with the developer, and this represents positive coordination by everyone concerned including the Kedah state government,” he said.

Ahmad Zahid later attended a programme on the Absorption of Noble Values Together With Enforcement Agencies for the Northern Zone and distributed meat in conjunction with Aidiladha to almost 2,000 enforcement officers and the local community. – BERNAMA


Latest from Latest

Go to Top