SEPANG – Malaysia’s Haj quota for this year’s pilgrimage season which will begin August 16 remains at 22,320 pilgrims, said a Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom.
He said the quota which was imposed since 2013 by the Saudi Arabian government following the work on enlarging Masjidil Haram (The Sacred Mosque) in Mecca was still in force.
“In a meeting with the Saudi Arabia’s Haj and Wakaf Minister, Dr Bandar Hajar yesterday, I was informed that the Haj quota for Malaysia remains as last year’s figure until the contruction period is fully completed.
“However, I have submitted an official letter sent by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak to the Saudi Arabian government and my letter to Dr Bandar applying for an additional quota for Malaysian pilgrims,” he said at a press conference upon arrival from Jeddah at KL International Airport, here today.
Jamil Khir said he was informed by Dr Bandar that the Saudi Arabian government gave a high consideration and attention to Malaysia’s application and stressed that the retaining of the quota was made to ensure the comfort of all the pilgrims. – BERNAMA