Hottest Online News Portal

Govt Fulfill Promise To Build Homes For Kelantan Flood Victims

in Latest/Slider

KUALA KRAI: Despite being the Opposition in Kelantan, the Federal Government fulfilled its promise to build homes for flood victims here, says Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

The Prime Minister said back in December 2014, after seeing the terrible condition and sufferings of flood victims, he brought up the matter to the Cabinet.

“A lot of houses were washed away while many others were damaged,” he said.

“My heart ached upon witnessing the magnitude of this catastrophe.

“We acted accordingly even though Kelantan is not under our rule,” he said at a ceremony to hand over keys yesterday to 31 families here.

Najib said each house for these displaced families cost RM65,000.

He said in addition, these houses were sited on prime industrial land, making the total value close to RM200,000 each.

“We also purchased privately-owned land to build houses to overcome the lack of suitable sites.

“This is our long-term commitment to the people,” he said, adding that the Government had pledged to build 1,141 houses for affected victims in the state.

So far, 844 units have been built while another 243 are near completion. The remaining 54 homes will be built after the process of acquiring land has been completed.

On Dec 23, two years ago, a massive flood, known as the yellow deluge (bah kuning) inundated much of Kelantan.

Torrential rain which lasted for days caused several main rivers, such as Sungai Galas, Sungai Lebir, Sungai Nenggiri and Sungai Kelantan, to burst their banks and submerge almost all of the state’s districts.

Statistics from the Kelantan National Security Council showed that over 170,000 families were relocated to 170 relief centres at the height of the floods.

Kuala Krai was among the worst hit districts with 16,734 families affected.

Latest from Latest

Go to Top