KUALA LUMPUR – The Ministry of Transport (MOT) will be conducting an in-depth probe into the tour bus accident, which claimed eight lives, on the North-South Expressway (PLUS) Thursday.
Its minister, Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai, said the ministry would also seek the cooperation from several agencies in the investigations.
“Among them, we have directed the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (Miros) director-general (Prof Dr Wong Shaw Voon) to go to the location to investigate the cause of the accident,” Liow, who is also MCA president, told reporters after chairing the party’s Central Committee Meeting here, Friday.
He said firm action would be taken against those responsible for the accident upon completion of the investigation.
The accident was believed to have occurred when the tour bus carrying 30 passengers from Kuala Kurau and Parit Buntar, Perak to Genting Highlands, tried to avoid a lorry tyre in the middle of the highway before skidding into a ravine and caught fire at Kilometre 326.3 of PLUS highway southbound near the Tapah toll station at 1.15 am Thursday.
In another development, Liow said MCA’s annual Chinese New Year open house at Wisma MCA in Jalan Ampang here would be held on Feb 19 from 9 am.
He said the event would also be attended by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and his deputy Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
“Leaders of Barisan Nasional component parties will also be joining in the celebration to welcome the Year of the Goat, along with members of the public,” he said, adding that the party would also be celebrating its 66th anniversary on March 15.
Meanwhile, MCA deputy president, Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong said the party had so far distributed RM1.8 million worth of relief aid to victims in flood affected states.
He said the relief aid consisted of more than 1,000 tonnes of food supply and items such as mattresses, blankets, clothes and school necessities. – Bernama