IPOH – The number of flood victims in Changkat Jong near Teluk Intan here, has risen to 350 as of this morning, compared to 327 yesterday.
Hilir Perak Civil Defence officer Mohd Fazly Mohamad Zawawi said another relief centre has been opened at the community hall at Kampung Degong where 23 people are temporarily sheltered.
At Sekolah Kebangsaan Changkat Jong, the number of flood victims remain at 327.
“Sungai Bidor in Kampung Degong burst its banks and caused the flood in the area. The was no rain this morning and the water level is at 28.7 metres,” he said when contacted by Bernama today.
Mohd Fazly said victims sheltered at Sekolah Kebangsaan Changkat Jong had been advised to stay put, as the water is still at 3.54 metres.
“The victims involve 97 families comprising 66 men, women (82), boys (64), girls (51), male senior citizens (17), female senior citizens (19), male toddlers (18) and female toddlers (10),” he said.
He said the affected residents were from four areas, at Lorong Mesra in Batu 7, Lorong Kedah in Batu 8, and Lorong Batu 11 and Kampung Batu 9.
“It is the second flood to hit Changkat Jong in two weeks; the first was on Nov 14, which temporarily displaced 56 residents from Lorong Mesra, he added. – BERNAMA