Hottest Online News Portal

Fatalities At Mount Kinabalu Following Quake

in Latest

KUNDASANG – There have been fatalities at Mount Kinabalu following the 5.9 magnitude earthquake that shook parts of Sabah on Friday.

This was confirmed by Sabah’s Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun via his Twitter account.

“It is with much regret that I have to inform that there have been fatalities at Mount Kinabalu,” he said, adding that details would be announced later Saturday.

Meanwhile, two bodies had been brought down to Pondok Timpohon at the base of Mount Kinabalu, the highest peak in Southeast Asia, at around 8.30 pm Friday.

It is learnt that one was that of a local mountain guide named Rubbi Sapinggi, 30, and the other was a female foreigner.

The 7.15 am quake that hit Ranau district also caused tremors in locations like Kota Kinabalu, Tambunan, Pedalaman, Tuaran and Kota Belud.

Meanwhile, the Malaysian Meterological Department said weak tremors were felt in Ranau at 11.13 pm and 11.32 pm on Friday.

The temblors were recorded at magnitude 4.3 and 2.8, respectively.

Media personnel and others assembled at the operations centre set up at Kinabalu Park, the entrance to the mountain in Kundasang, were seen scurrying for safety.

– BERNAMA

Latest from Latest

Go to Top