Hottest Online News Portal

FA Cup Roundup: Arsenal, Man City, Everton Win; Eastleigh Denied

in Latest/Sports

ARSENAL and Manchester City claimed comfortable FA Cup third-round victories on Saturday afternoon, but non-league Eastleigh were denied a famous win late on in their clash with Bolton.

Arsenal, winners of the last two editions of the competition, came from behind to secure their place in round four as they overcame fellow Premier League side Sunderland 3-1 at the Emirates.

Jeremain Lens gave Sunderland a shock lead in the 17th minute, but Joel Campbell equalised eight minutes later with a neat finish and Aaron Ramsey put Arsene Wenger’s side ahead with 18 minutes to play before Olivier Giroud added a third a minute later.

Manchester City also eased past Premier League opposition as they won 3-0 at Norwich.

Sergio Aguero stabbed home the opener on 16 minutes and then turned provider to set up Kelechi Iheanacho for the second. Kevin De Bruyne sealed the win on 78 minutes.

Troy Deeney’s goal was enough for Watford as they knocked Newcastle out with a 1-0 win at Vicarage Road. The striker scored a minute before the break after a poor mistake from Georginio Wijnaldum.

In the fourth all-Premier League clash of the afternoon, Wilfried Zaha’s 68th-minute volley saw Crystal Palace claim a 2-1 win at Southampton.

Joel Ward (29) had put Palace ahead, but Oriol Romeu equalised shortly after the break from close range.

Eastleigh almost produced the shock of the afternoon as they led Championship side Bolton 1-0 for much of the second half, only to be denied three minutes from time.

Dorian Dervite’s 51st-minute own goal left the only non-league side left in this season’s competition dreaming of an FA Cup fairytale, but Darren Pratley spared the away side’s blushes in the 87th minute to set up a replay.

There was almost a shock at the Hawthorns where West Brom needed a last-gasp goal to draw 2-2 with Championship side Bristol City.

Saido Berahino put his troubles behind him to break the deadlock for the home side on 67 minutes, but the lead lasted just seven minutes as Jonathan Kodjia equalised before Kieran Agard (83) scored within a minute of coming off the bench.

However, James Morrison rescued the Premier League side with an equaliser five minutes into injury time.

Wayne Rooney’s injury-time penalty saw Manchester United edge out League One side Sheffield United 1-0 in Saturday’s late game.

The tie looked destined to be heading for a goalless draw – setting a Bramall Lane replay – until the 93rd minute when Dean Hammond tripped Memphis Depay inside the penalty area and Rooney scored from the spot.

In the early kick-off, Remi Garde’s wait for a win as Aston Villa boss stretched to 10 games as Wycombe Wanderers came from behind to draw 1-1 at Adams Park.

Micah Richards’ first-half strike gave Villa the lead before Joe Jacobson levelled the tie with a well-taken penalty five minutes after the interval.

West Ham were made to work hard for their 1-0 win over Championship side Wolves with Nikica Jelavic scoring the only goal of the game six minutes from time.

Everton secured their place in the fourth round with a 2-0 win over Dagenham & Redbridge thanks to goals from Arouna Kone and a late Kevin Mirallas penalty, while Jonathan Walters scored the winner as Stoke won 2-1 at Doncaster.

Glenn Murray scored five minutes from time as Bournemouth came from behind to beat Birmingham City 2-1. Lee Tomlin’s penalty had earlier cancelled out Michael Morrison’s opener.

Steve Evans enjoyed a victory over his former club Rotherham as goals from Mustapha Carayol and Souleymane Doukara earned Leeds a 2-0 win, while Burnley came from behind to earn a 2-1 win at Championship leaders Middlesbrough.

Derby County survived a scare against League Two strugglers Hartlepool as goals from Jake Gray and Darren Bent – five minutes from time – saw them come from behind to win 2-1.

Ipswich Town needed a Ryan Fraser goal two minutes from time to secure a 2-2 draw at home to League Two Portsmouth, who thought they had won it when Conor Chaplin scored in the 86th minute.

Jamie Ward’s first-half goal saw Nottingham Forest win their all-Championship clash with QPR, while a Robert Snodgrass penalty was enough for Hull to overcome Brighton by the same 1-0 scoreline.

Adthe Nuhiu scored the winner as Sheffield Wednesday beat fellow Championship side Fulham 2-1, but Huddersfield and Reading will need a replay after Nakhi Wells scored a penalty two minutes into injury time to rescue a 2-2 draw for the home side.

League One high-flyers Walsall beat Championship opposition Brentford 1-0 at Griffin Park thanks to a Sam Mantom curler in the first half, while Northampton Town and MK Dons played out an exciting 2-2 draw at Sixfields.

Elsewhere, Peterborough beat Preston 2-0, Colchester saw off Charlton 2-1 and Bury were held to a goalless draw at home to Bradford.

Newport County’s home tie with Blackburn Rovers was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Saturday’s FA Cup third-round results

Wycombe 1-1 Aston Villa
Arsenal 3-1 Sunderland
Birmingham 1-2 Bournemouth
Brentford 0-1 Walsall
Bury 0-0 Bradford
Colchester 2-1 Charlton
Doncaster 1-2 Stoke
Eastleigh 1-1 Bolton
Everton 2-0 Dag & Red
Hartlepool 1-2 Derby
Huddersfield 2-2 Reading
Hull 1-0 Brighton
Ipswich 2-2 Portsmouth
Leeds 2-0 Rotherham
Middlesbrough 1-2 Burnley
Northampton 2-2 MK Dons
Norwich 0-3 Man City
Nottm Forest 1-0 QPR
Peterborough 2-0 Preston
Sheff Wed 2-1 Fulham
Southampton 1-2 Crystal Palace
Watford 1-0 Newcastle
West Brom 2-2 Bristol City
West Ham 1-0 Wolves
Man Utd 1-0 Sheff Utd

– SkySports


Latest from Latest

Go to Top