KUALA LUMPUR – The electronic visa (e- visa) programme for tourists from China drew some 647,344 tourists to this country from January to April this year.
Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz said the figure shows an increase from 352,575 tourists over the corresponding period last year.
“The e-visa and electronic tourist registration and information (ENTRI) programmes have drawn more Chinese tourists to this country.
“We are confident the target of four million Chinese tourists this year can be achieved,” he said in rely to a supplementary question from Anthony Loke Siew Fook (DAP-Seremban) who asked about the status of e-visa for tourists from China in the Dewan Rakyat, here today.
The e-visa and ENTRI programmes to increase tourist arrivals from China was officially launched in Beijing on March 1.
From March 1 to Dec 31 this year, Chinese tourists can enter Malaysia with ease as they can apply for visa online and print out the e-visa.
E-visa is for those who stay not more 30 days by paying processing fee of 200 yuan (RM128) while ENTRI is for those who stay not more 15 days by paying processing fee of 160 yuan (RM102).
Replying to a question from Loke on a tiff between Tourism Malaysia and AirAsia at 4th International Tourism Expo in China recently, Nazri said a meeting would be held to discuss the issue on Monday.
“A committee will be established to investigate the incident and make recommendations to the minister for further action,” he said.
Media reports said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai demanded an explanation from Tourism Malaysia chairman Wee Choo Keong for allegedly ordering the removal of AirAsia bunting from the expo.
The move prompted reaction from AirAsia chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes who questioned the move on his Facebook page. – BERNAMA