There seems to be no end to the discovery of human body parts in Penang. The latest to be found were a partially decomposed head and a pair of arms along Jalan Kubur in Machang Bubok, here, just 50m from a police station.
P. Karthi, who works at a construction vehicle rental business, said he and his colleagues went to investigate when they saw a crowd gathered outside their premises at about 3.30pm yesterday.
â€œWe thought there had been an accident but it turned out that they were looking at a pair of arms on the road. We alerted the office and checked through CCTV footage, which revealed that dogs had dragged the arms out from among bushes beside the road,â€ he said.
Penang deputy CID chief Asst Comm P.R. Gunarajan said police found a head wrapped in a plastic bag nearby after they received a call at about 3.40pm.
â€œThe arms were also wrapped in plastic bags which we believe were torn open by dogs. Our canine unit was despatched but found nothing more. Based on the condition of the flesh, we believe the head and arms had been left there for about a week,â€ he said.
ACP Gunarajan said police were checking to see if they were related to other cases.
â€œWe are still not able to ascertain the gender and background of the person. But whatâ€™s certain is that the person who dumped the head and arms wanted them to be found,â€ he said.
It was the third day in a row that human body parts had been found on mainland Penang.
A pair of arms and a leg were found in an irrigation canal off Jalan Sungai Bakap in Simpang Ampat and among some bushes beside it on Sunday evening while a leg was found in a canal 250m away a day earlier.
Earlier on Nov 24, a human head, with both ears missing, was found in a black plastic bag outside a restaurant in Lorong Impian Ria 5 here.
Three days later, a torso and legs of a man were found dumped in a flour sack in an irrigation canal off Jalan Besar in Sungai Bakap.
Last month, two headless female bodies and a pair of mutilated legs were found within four days.
Meanwhile, police have again denied that the killings of 18 Myanmar nationals in Penang this year were due to ethnic tensions between Muslims and Buddhists in Myanmar.
State CID chief Senior Asst Comm Mazlan Kesah refuted a report in an English daily yesterday that the killings were related to communal tension.
Seven Myanmar nationals, in their 20s and 30s, were picked up last week to assist in investigations.