KUALA LUMPUR – The Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said it was inappropriate and irresponsible to speculate on the death of Malaysian Honorary Consul to Madagascar Zahid Houseinaly Reza who had died late last month.
In a statement, here today, Azharuddin said the matter was still being investigated by the relevant authorities.
“The late Zahid Houseinaly Reza was of great assistance to the government of Malaysia in facilitating the recovery of possible MH370 debris found in Madagascar. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones in these trying times,” he said.
His statement came after a report by Australian daily Perth Now which quoted American wreck hunter Blaine Gibson as claiming that Houseinaly, who was responsible to hand over the debris from MH370 to the Malaysian government, was assassinated on Aug 24.
He also claimed that Houseinaly was due to deliver new debris of the plane to Malaysia when he was allegedly assassinated.
In a statement on Aug 30, Wisma Putra had also acknowledged Houseinaly’s death. Houseinaly was first appointed as Malaysia’s Honorary Consul in Madagascar in December 2013 for a three-year term.
The Malaysian government had renewed his contract for the post for another three years until December 2019.