Hottest Online News Portal

Dengue: 11 Deaths So Far In Terengganu This Year

in Latest/Slider

DUNGUN: Deaths in Terengganu due to dengue have continued to increase, with 11 people reported dead in the first two months of this year.

State Health Department director Dr Mohamad Omar said the ninth fatal victim, who was a 25-year-old man from Ladang, Kuala Terengganu, occurred on Feb 24, followed by that of a 37-year-old woman from Jalan Kenanga, also in Kuala Terengganu.

“The latest death was recorded yesterday in Dungun, involving a 43-year-old housewife,” he told reporters after officiating a gathering by the Health department at the Dungun Municipal Council here, today.

Kuala Terengganu recorded the highest number of deaths, with seven cases, while there were one each in Besut, Kuala Nerus, Marang and Dungun.

He said a total of 1,127 dengue cases have been reported across the state as of yesterday, 240 per cent more than in the same period last year (332 cases).

“However, the number of people being infected by dengue in the state has declined in recent weeks, with between five and 15 dengue cases per day, compared to 30 to 40 cases per day, in mid-January.

“The number of localities where the dengue epidemic is still active has also dropped, with 19 areas, compared to 40 localities in mid-January.

“Of the total, 14 localities are under control, one is uncontrolled, namely Kampung Gong Penaga, and another four localities are hotspots, namely, Flat Polis Padang Hiliran, Kondo Rakyat Kuala Ibai, Lorong Bakti and Lorong Kembangan Batu Buruk,” he said.

Accordingly, he advised the public to maintain cleanliness inside and outside their homes, and to seek and destroy Aedes breeding grounds around their house.

— BERNAMA

Latest from Latest

Go to Top