JOHOR BAHARU – The delay in the hearing of national badminton player Datuk Lee Chong Wei’s doping case at the Badminton World Federation (BWF) was to ensure presentation of a strong case, said Youth and Sports Minister, Khairy Jamaluddin Abu Bakar.
He said the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) had been reminded to be ready before attending the trial with the BWF Doping Hearing Panel.
“We should not be hasty as we have to study several details. We only have one chance,” the minister told reporters after checking out preparations for the 2015 Monsoon Cup in Teluk Danga in Johor Baharu, Monday.
Khairy was commenting on a statement by Chong Wei who accused the BAM of delaying his defence case at BWF.
“We should not attend Chong Wei’s hearing with a half-baked case. For me, this is a very important case,” said the minister.
Khairy said a failure to defend Chong Wei could result in the player’s suspension for two years, which could lead to his retirement, adding that it would also indirectly affect the player and the country’s badminton.
“I have no intention of wanting this to be delayed longer than necessary but we need to make sure the case we present is the strongest for the defence in Chong Wei’s case.
“There is no point attending the disciplinary hearing with a weak defence,” he added.
Recently, BAM said the national badminton player’s doping case hearing would be held at the latest by next month. – Bernama